9" Axle Bearing Question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
orcus420

9" Axle Bearing Question

Post by orcus420 »

I have a 9" (big bearing ends) from a 74EB under my BII and swapped in a Detroit with 31-spline Yukons a few years ago. One side started leaking a bit of gear oil and I currently have the axle out. When I installed the axles, they came with 4 pieces. A Timken U399A bearing, Timken U365L race, seal, and the big retainer press ring that goes on last. The bearing and race were separate and the race installed in the housing end.

I have been to every parts store in town and all over the net trying to find an exact replacement. I can only find (and bought) a Timken "SET20" as a replacement, but the bearing and race are one piece and do not separate. The bearing is marked U399A and the race is marked U365L (same exact numbers as the old ones). I am hesitant to press it on the axle becasue I am worried what about it being a pain in the ass to get the axle back in with the race install on it instead of the housing end where it nedds to be. Has anyone installed a SET20 in a 9" and how difficult it is to get the axle back in? Do you have to beat the axle back in with a BFH or what? Isn't it then a royal pain to remove again later? Still scratching my head wondering who decided this was a good idea to change it and why I cannot find them as separate pieces any longer.
87 BII
5.0 HO
NP435 4-Speed
NP205 Transfer Case
Dana44 w/ ARB
9" Ford w/ Detroit Locker
35" Pro-Comp MT's
drofman

Re: 9" Axle Bearing Question

Post by drofman »

Try Border parts in Spring Valley CA
http://local.yahoo.com/info-20796217-bo ... ing-valley