2.3 turbo swap in broncoll

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
barrylee66

2.3 turbo swap in broncoll

Post by barrylee66 »

2.3 turbo blow thru in 87bronco2. it has an automatic trans and a 2.9 will this trans work with a 2.3 will the bell housing come off the trans. or do they make a trans and transfer case that will mate to the 2.3
drofman

Re: 2.3 turbo swap in broncoll

Post by drofman »

Rangers came with the 2.3L so you could just get the bell housing. I don't like the turbo lag for 4X4. The power band isn't there on low end and when the turbo hits it's uncontrolable and more likely to break something. It great for sand but for low range, I'd rather have a blower.
barrylee66

Post by barrylee66 »

well I have built several 2.3 turbo motors. and if you use the right turbo there isnt much lag. and if you dont turn the boost way up you get 250 hp and as much or more torque. just use the smaller turbo that came on the merkurs I think its the .48 exhaust housing. and 25 mpg. and my merkur makes 405 hp and 395 ft lb at the wheels with a 4 cyl t5 trans so they arent hard on parts either.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Your Merkur isn't spinning it wheels and then catching traction the spinning and so on. That's just me opinion and it's free so take it for what it's worth. I did a ton of recalls to the T-birds and SVO's when they came out to make the turbos water cooled cause they were burning up right and left. I loved them old Super Birds and Stangs. Wish I had an SVO now.