Roof insulation material...

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jefe

Roof insulation material...

Post by jefe »

Hey guys.

Recently took out the headliner to re-upholster and the 25 year old insulation stuck to the roof disintegrated into a billion pieces and now I need to replace it.

Wondering if anyone else has done this and what you used?

Also not sure if I should simply look for sound dampening material (because it now has a metal echo sound when i close any of the doors) or if I need something that also helps with heat/cold insulation.

Right now I'm checking out http://www.raamaudio.com or some material that LMC Truck has for sell online -> http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=95

Thanks fellas.
tekatlarge

Re: Roof insulation material...

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey Jefe,

I cant remember what made up the headliner in my B2 but my little 84 Ranger used a cardboard type base and the foam and fabric was glued to that.

I did my Ranger Headliner and first problem was how to get all the old foam off the cardboard. I used a putty knife and some scotchbrite and it scuffed off pretty good. (Don't use a wire wheel) New fabric material just like the OEM uses is easily found in your local fabric store. I used some 3M Fabric adhesive to glue the fabric to the cardboard frame and then put it all back together. It looked better than new!!!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
jefe

Post by jefe »

Right on Tek!
drofman

Post by drofman »

Mine is bad also. I thought about doing it in Marine carpet. Is that too Redneck?
jefe

Post by jefe »

ha ha. Since you had to ask...probably. :)
jefe

Post by jefe »

Been reading some good reviews about this stuff and going to give it a try.

http://www.lobucrod.com/index.html

I'll post some results later on down the road if I remember.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Jeffe,

That stuff sounds pretty good. At 67 1/2 cents a square foot it has an attractive price. It does a good job of heat insulation and using that in the roof looks like an excellent way to beat the heat. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
jefe

Post by jefe »

:beer:

Right on...they ship fast and I should get it this week, probably install this weekend!
jefe

Post by jefe »

Hey guys....ended up going with that EZ cool insulation. It was super easy to install, just need some scissors and 3M spray.....measure, cut, spray and done.

When I took the old insulation out, closing the door echo'ed like a metal grand canyon. After I installed this stuff, it sounds really solid now when closing the door and I haven't even put the headliner back in yet.

Here's some pics.

Roof after the old 25 year insulation was ripped out. Wish I had a pic of the giant mess it made after tearing it out.

Tools for the job.

After insulation installed. Took no time at all really.

drofman

Post by drofman »

Looks good Jefe
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Looks good but Oh gawd I am having flashbacks to project PhilStang I did that in "Fat Mat" and did the entire car top bottom and sides from the firewall to the rear bumper. It was awesome inside it was remarkably quiet and cool in the sun.. It was a bit of a bitch as there were a lot of nooks and crannies this stuff had to go. It took a good month for my hands to heal up after getting cut on all the little sheet-metal edges.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
jefe

Post by jefe »

ouch!