bronco II 1984 failing and turning off

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
purgatorywalker

bronco II 1984 failing and turning off

Post by purgatorywalker »

I just got this Bronco II 1984, it is standard transmission. I was running the Bronco all fine and all of a sudden it started failing, the gas pedal was kind of useless it kind of jumped a lot ( I don't know if this is what you call sputtering). I left it like that and the next day I tried again, it was running normal until a reached 5th gear, the failing began I shifted to 4th gear and all was normal for a couple of minutes the it failed again then in 3, 2 and 1st gear until it shut down. After that it never turned on again. I looked for possible problems over the internet and it all point to fuel problems, my intention was to change the fuel filter which it should be under the driver's seat but it wasn't.

Where is that filter? Was it removed by previous owners? Can the fuel pump be the problem? is it inside the tank? I think I just want to start it and drive to the nearest mechanic because my knowledge in automotive mechanics is limited.
drofman

Re: bronco II 1984 failing and turning off

Post by drofman »

84 has a fuel pump on the engine (2.8L) might try spraying carb cleaner into the carb to see if it's a fuel problem when it dies.
purgatorywalker

Re: bronco II 1984 failing and turning off

Post by purgatorywalker »

It took me some time and later I forgot the password to the site but I fixed the problem. New gas pump and filter the old ones were a mess some brown goo stopped the gas before the carburetor. Thanks a lot for the help, it was a start that lead me to the problem.