Highway vibration

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jsimmons88

Highway vibration

Post by jsimmons88 »

Just got an '88 Bronco II, Auto, 4WD, with 74,000 miles on it (really). I like it a lot but these are a couple of issues I am having. It drifts to the right. I am going to get the tires rotated and balanced and hope that helps. The main concern is some vibration at highway speeds that does not seem to be the tires. Not bad when I am coasting but noticeable when I am accelerating. May be universal joints or something like that? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
dgl6y6

Re: Highway vibration

Post by dgl6y6 »

when you say that it drifts to the right do you mean it if you let go of the wheel the wheel turns itself to the right? Or does it just go to the right even when you hold the wheel straight? seems like you might need an alignment and possibly some new steering Hardware. unfortunately the vibration at highway speeds could be caused by lots of different thingsbut getting the tires balanced and rotated is always a good place to start.
Mudhog1977

Re: Highway vibration

Post by Mudhog1977 »

Could be just a tire pull, see if it helps when you rotate them, the vibration sounds like a ujoint but Check to see because both of mine (an 85 and an 86) and the one I just got rid of ( an 89)came with cv joints on the rear driveshaft if that is what it is they cost nearly $200, it might be worth it to get a driveshaft with ujoints if you spend the extra now you will save in the long run
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll