87 B2 wont run. plz help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
timsparrow69

87 B2 wont run. plz help

Post by timsparrow69 »

ive replaced the fuel pump on my b2 and it ran great but then my flywheel broke so we replaced that and once i got it back it wont even crankz ive charged the battery and electrical all worksz i have no idea whats wrong, any help would be appreicatiated
kirkland2887

Re: 87 B2 wont run. plz help

Post by kirkland2887 »

did you hook the starter up right?
timsparrow69

Post by timsparrow69 »

yes i got it to turn over but it still wont crank and the fuel pumps work fin as-well as the starter
drofman

Post by drofman »

Do you have spark? What happens if you spary carb cleaner into the intake when you "crank" it over?
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

turning over and cranking is the same thing. did you do the flywheel or did a shop do it. did all the grounds get hooked back up
timsparrow69

Post by timsparrow69 »

a shop did the flywheel and i checked all the grounds and there good. i think its something in the igntion switch. beacuase it wont start when i turn the key but one time i turnd the key the other way and it started.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

:idea: I am throwing this out there just for the heck of it. Could the distributor have contacted a solid object and maybe cracked the cap or something else when the trans and such was disconnected to repair the flywheel? I had this happen before and it was a bugger to find.

Do this quick little test to determine if it is fuel or spark related. Turn the engine over and at the same time squirt a little bit of gasoline into the intake. If the engine has a spark problem it won't fire at all. If it is a fuel problem then it will only run for a couple of seconds while it uses the fuel you squirted in. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

carb clean will also work
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

You should check spark, if you dont have a tester than check the power coming out of the coil, if it is leaving the coil than not leaving the cap than it could be the ignition module on the back of the distributor, its just two screws holding it in. If not than check your relays, make sure they are still good
drofman

Post by drofman »

Tek--- the sound of reason. Don't confuse the facts. I'm glad you're back.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Thanks Drof,

Yeah I found out a long time ago Start simple and don't jump all around to stuff.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
timsparrow69

Post by timsparrow69 »

ok so i did the test with the starter fluid and it didnt turn over at all, so its a spark problem and it think it is the distributer but thats my guess. any suggestions as to what it is?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey there timsparrow69,

Your terminology kind of threw me. To me "Turning er over" means turning the key to make the engine rotate so air and fuel can be combined with a spark to fire the engine.

So that said, I take it you rotated the engine with the starter and sprayed a flammable vaporous liquid into the intake and the engine failed to start. No attempt or backfire or nutting..

If that is the scenario then I would first look at the TFI on the Distributor. If replacing the TFI does not lead to success then try replacing the electronics inside the distributor mainly the hall effect trigger module.

OK here is where you should stop and take a note or two and write down what you have done so far and what were the reactions.

Now you should stop and run the codes from the computer write them down and see if any are recorded that might stop the spark!

Have Fun...
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
timsparrow69

Post by timsparrow69 »

ok so i removed the distributer and the tfi and there was alot of corrosion on the points and rotor in the distributer and when i took the tfi off there was alot on that too. what would be my next step, just buying a new distributer?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

:wtf: Points?
What year is your engine? Are we talking about a 2.9 or a :eek: 2.8L
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington