Fuel system Q's

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
plowboy

Fuel system Q's

Post by plowboy »

Trying to replace the frame mounted/canister type fuel filter on my sons 88 BII. No one has the parts or can seem to find this filter. The only parts store shows an in line filter in their book which is wrong. I have found the part on Amazon.com but my question is can I use two inline filters in place of this canister nightmare. Second question is: there are two size lines attached to the canister type. one is 3/8 and one is 1/4. Does any one know which is supply and which is return?
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
drofman

Re: Fuel system Q's

Post by drofman »

Napa Online says the canister filter part # SFI 23268
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Thankd drofman but that is not exactly what I need. I don't think I explained it correctly.
Both NAPA and O'Reily auto have incorrect catalogs when it come to this. They list either the filter element you suggested or an inline/single in /single out. Mine has two size lines in and out. One 3/8" and one 1/4"

According to my local dealership and other reading I have done, it is listed as a filter but there is no actual element in it. Once it is opened it doesn't seal corectly. Some reading I have ran across has suggested that is a water seperator.

What I have is this: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10670 ... hingy.html

The problem I have is that on the left side, the bottom inlet has cracked and broke off. What I want to do is to replace this with two smaller inline filters which is a much cheaper fix.

My real question is which size line is supply and which is return. Is the 3/8" supply and 1/4" return or vise versa. Also could it be that it's 3/8" on one side of the filter and 1/4" on the other and vise versa for the return?
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
drofman

Post by drofman »

I believe that the black thinging has check valves in it so all the fuel doesn't leak back to the tank when you shut it off. might not work the way you want it.
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Good point. Thanks
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

Just putting it out there, i know on my 87 bii 2.9l v6 the canister under the drivers door attached to the frame and held in by a bracket with two hoses in and out is actually the second fuel pump. The inline filter is just above in the frame parallel to the headers.