New owner needs help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jgill

New owner needs help

Post by jgill »

I just picked up a 86 bronco II xlt V-6 2.9,4wd,5-speed.Has 44,000 original miles on it bought it from an old lady for 800 bucks.I live out in Moab,Ut I want to make this a trail truck for site seeing around the area.So here are the issues I have so far with the truck. :confused:

1.Grinding popping noise during take off or acceleration,sound like it coming from the back or center of vehicle??

2.4wd will engage with button but will not disengage,unless you disconnect the battery wait awhile then hit the button??

3.Door lock work fine with button in cab,but will not unlock with key,barley turns then comes to a dead stop.

4.Fuel gauge only reads E or F....sending unit??

Any help with issues would be grate new to the bronco II world...one last question what is the widest tire and wheel combo for stock height.I want wider tires to help stabilize the truck and reduce roll over risk!! :redneck:

jgill

Re: New owner needs help

Post by jgill »

O yea one other issue when putting the window up it falls forward...is there plastic rollers to guide it up??
jgill

Post by jgill »

...and in the time it took to write this..this happen!!

drofman

Post by drofman »

Nice Ride and welcome
#1 could be driveshaft if CV type or u-joint
#2 could be connection at tranfer case motor or motor itself
#3 got to pull panel and take a look
#4 more than likely sending unit
All above is just a guess
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

1: probably has the prop shaft (cv style) its junk scrap it I broke 7 of them in a year get a Spicer style with u joints, or better yet have a custom one Madeline I did 7 yrs and it still ain't broke had to replace u joints once
2: don'tknow bout the push button 4 wheel drive first guess would be a bad button or solenoid I'd convert it to a Manual transfer case and hubs less that can go wrong
3: try graphite in the key hole first before u take the door panel off try the simple things first cause usually the simple things are the problem
4: sending unit
5: is say a 29" tire when I had my 31's they rubbed with a 2" lift on the front and when I flexed in the back
6: probably the window regulator a pain to change but it depends on how bad you want to do it
7: where's the grass
8 what Sun then snow? Lol
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
jgill

Post by jgill »

Thanks for the input...and props on the ride.How hard is it to change to manual 4x4 and hubs.not much grass here in the desert of Moab,Ut...and yea the weather is crazy here gets really cold then warms up and snows...lol

Also thank you about the tire size!!My main thing is I want to go as wide as I can to increase the track width...all the comments about these thing rolling over easy has me nervous!!
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

No problem and thanks to u 2 that's a clean lil b2 u have too .U can find a donor from a junkyard and get the transfer case and shift linkage outta it and possibly the hubs think u gotta change a clip or something but if your gonna spend the money go ahead and order some warn hubs they're much stronger should be some posts on here bout the conversion, and they don't flip as easy as they say they do ... Trust me
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll