Instrument regulator/stabilizer question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
astrowolf67

Instrument regulator/stabilizer question

Post by astrowolf67 »

In searching the forum, I've found a few posts referring to this little gadget on the back side of the guage cluster. When I first got my 86 Xlt a few months ago, there were no problems. Then, a couple of weeks later, it started running real hot. So, naturally, I put in a new thermostat, and sending unit. No changes. I kept driving it since the only symptom was the guage, and have had no problems. For peace of mind, I've had it looked at by a radiator shop, and, used my fire departments thermal camera to comfirm nothing too hot. Then, I stumble across reference to this little box here, and at TRS, and, all the symptoms fit. Temp guage reading high, fuel guage over 1/4 tank off to the high side (matter of fact, just filled it up and the needle disappeared behind the tach). I've also noticed, it seems pretty accurate when first driving around, but, eventually, the temp reads hot, and, I gain over 1/4 tank of gas. It makes sense if the regulator is bad, and, as it warms up, allows more voltage to get through to the guages. My question is, how to trouble shoot the regulator, and, WHERE can a replacement be found. That is, IF the 86 BII even has one.

Thanks,
David
drofman

Re: Instrument regulator/stabilizer question

Post by drofman »

The IVR (Instrument Voltage Regulator) is behing the cluster. It connects to the custer ribbon and the connectors look like 9 volt battery terminals. If you can't find any you might look at junk yards
Attachments
P1210001.JPG
P1210002.JPG
drofman

Post by drofman »

Sorry the 2nd picture didn't come out
Attachments
P1210003.JPG
astrowolf67

Post by astrowolf67 »

that is great info, thanks!

David
SmokeEater829

Post by SmokeEater829 »

LMCTruck.com lists the voltage regulator as part number 47-0894 for $49.95. But, it is listedfor 86-88 model years. Not sure if that will help you.