What is my best bet on doing a engine swap?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
fordjunkie87

What is my best bet on doing a engine swap?

Post by fordjunkie87 »

I have a 1984 bronco II XLT 2.8l with a mazda 5speed. I've put another 2.8 in not too long ago. The first one had blow-by so bad I was changing air filters every 4 days. Now this junk yard engine is burning oil. I want to know what is my best choice? I don't have the money to do the 302 conversion, and I'm kinda in the dark on what will be needed or what will bolt up. I really don't want to touch the drivetrain at all if possiable. Please help cuz this 2.8 couldn't pull my lawnmower. Thanks!
PUFF
Kambronco1

Re: What is my best bet on doing a engine swap?

Post by Kambronco1 »

James Duff.com offers alot of info on engine swaps. The 4.0 liter is a direct bolt-in. Make sure you get all the goodies off the donor vehicle. The explorer offered a 4.0 Liter at 205 HP in 1989.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Kambronco1 wrote:James Duff.com offers alot of info on engine swaps. The 4.0 liter is a direct bolt-in. Make sure you get all the goodies off the donor vehicle. The explorer offered a 4.0 Liter at 205 HP in 1989.

a 89 explorer?? really
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

What about out of a 98 explorer? Correct me if im wrong but the 4.0 didnt come out till 90 in the ranger 4x4 right?
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

right
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

That's a tough one. Besides the 4.0/89 Explorer statement, the 2.9L is NOT a bolt in swap. The 2.8 is a normally aspirated engine (carburated) while the 2.9 is a fuel injected engine. The 2.9/4.0 is virtually a direct swap because you would already have the wiring and fuel system in place along with the tranny and drivetrain. The 2.8 is a different animal. You will basically need a complete donor vehicle to swap to the '84.

Sorry, but without resources, you're going to end up working the 2.8 until you are able to make the upgrade to either the 302 you spoke of above or the 2.9/4.0 system swap. To me the 302 seems to be a simpler conversion.
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

In my opinion the cheapest way to go would be to rebuild the engine thats already in it and the next step up would be the 2.9 or 4.0 swap u can always find wrecked explorers or rangers for less than a grand u just gotta look for them and if u find an early 90's one u get the 8.8 and dana 35 to go with it that would be a win win situation, if u go with the 302 the kit at james duff costs a grand by itself and thats just for the engine I think it would be a the small stuff that would wind up costing a bit there
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
fordjunkie87

Post by fordjunkie87 »

Thanks! My only question I have left is will my mazda 5speed bolt up to a 2.9 or a 4.0? Or do I have to replace my drivetrain?
PUFF