Bronco 2 Start and Stall

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tim1

Bronco 2 Start and Stall

Post by tim1 »

my bronco jus got running an when i start it for the first time everyday it will stall once or twice and i dont knw y.any help would be appreciated.
Jorley

Re: Bronco 2 Start and Stall

Post by Jorley »

what year is it and which engine?
'84 Bll 2.8L w/ duraspark, rv cam
TK5, 31x10.50x15
fireproof710

Post by fireproof710 »

Head on down to your nearest autozone and pick up a code reader. If you don't already have one, you can pick up a cheapie for around 30 bucks. It doesn't have a screen, you have to count the blinks of an LED light, but it comes with a code book that will direct you to the problem. Obviously there could be a whole range of things causing it to stall. I had a similar problem, and was replacing things right and left trying to diagnose the problem. Then I got the code reader and it directed me to a faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor that went bad, sending false readings to the computer, and sure enough that was it.

So....

1) Pick up a code reader
2) (as Jorley said) Which year/engine is it?
3) Can you give us any more symptoms other than the stalling? How does it run after it gets going for example?
1990 BII, 2.9FI, Stock.
tim1

Post by tim1 »

1987. 2.9, 6 cylinder. it usally stalls just once then runs decent but runs bout 1500-2100 rpms.
tim1

Post by tim1 »

wht code reader should i get?
moogvo

Post by moogvo »

Sounds like the IAC valve to me. Maybe dirty throttle plates too. How does it run once it is warmed up? Does it lose power driving down the road?
Tom Moog

This post contains artificial watermark. Hold at angle to view.
tim1

Post by tim1 »

ya its runs ok when its on the road sumtimes but other times it will just shut off while im driving.