89 broncoll computer help?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
beachbumtroy

89 broncoll computer help?

Post by beachbumtroy »

ok guys found out my computer is bad and just to let u know i`am ordering a new one monday....but my question is...does anybody have or know where i can get a diagram for the old computer board?reason is my is definately burnt but i`d like to know what part it was that burnt and if it was old age or something cause it? its a 1989 broncoll 2.9 motor,auto,2wd and i was just hoping that i can find out the part thats burnt to see if i can prevent it from happening again anytime soon so if u have or know of a diagram that shows the board and what each little diode and such is that would be great appreciate any and all help. thnx bb
tekatlarge

Re: 89 broncoll computer help?

Post by tekatlarge »

The short answer is NO there are no user replacement parts or diagrams available.
Sure you can replace a resistor, a diode, but the rest of the proprietary parts are hard to find unless you spend lots of hours researching them.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Just browsing old postings and came across this one. My experience was as follows: (First of all, keep in mind that it's difficult to impossible to get parts shipped to the Los Cabos region of Mexico). I keep a 90 Eddie Bauer BII in my garage in Mexico - I imported it about 10 years ago - I keep it on blocks and disconnect the battery when I leave. Last year when I arrived I was connecting the battery cables and didn't realize that they had crossed in the engine compartment - I stupidly just connected them as they were above the battery not realizing that I connected pos to neg and neg to pos - went to start the car - made a wierd noise. Well, I had (among other things) fried the computer. Luckily I have a Mexican mechanic who dove into the car, replaced the shot parts, removed the computer, opened it and it still had the burnt electric smell and upon close inspection, you could see the little black piece that appeared burnt. After several trips to the wrecking yards here in Los Cabos and at least 6 computers that didn't work right (I kept telling him that that the number had to match EXACTLY, i.e., the computer had to be specifically for an EB 90 BII not a ranger or any other model BII) I finally asked him if he knew of a computer repair person (they still repair things here in Mexico!!) and he said yes. He took it to him and returned with my original computer repaired, installed it and my BII is still running great a year later. I still regard this as a miracle and the whole experience ended up costing me only about $180. This would have easily run into $1K or more in the states. BTW - all the work was done at my house where he showed up every day to work on the car.
beachbumtroy

Post by beachbumtroy »

wow jerry thats pretty good any chance u can send ur mexican mechanic here to floridas next time mine messes up :D