help with getting bronco started?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
beachbumtroy

help with getting bronco started?

Post by beachbumtroy »

ok guys bronco died was told it was the fuel pump,so put a new one inand now theres plenty of pressure at the rail,but it wont start without starting fluid then dies,checked the injectors all are getting power,even tried another computer from the junkyard (assuming it was good) and still nothing,besides the fuel regulator which we r going to try tommorrow (by the way is there a way to test old one?) what else could it be it starts with starting fluid but then dies,changed computer used but changed,new fuel pump getting good pressure,any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated. thnx bb p.s its a 1989 broncoll 2.9 motor,auto,2wd,
tekatlarge

Re: help with getting bronco started?

Post by tekatlarge »

Exactly how many psi did you measure at the schrader valve. did it bleed down over time..

Don't be offended and I am not picking on you however, I have seen so many people fooled about fuel pressure. They say the pressure is good but in reality all they did was see if fuel squirted out of the valve when you pushed the center. Sure fuel may squirt out but if it is not at the correct pressure it may not even leave the injector. The fuel needs to be under a particular pressure when squirted out of the injector to correctly atomize with the air. When you pour gas into the intake or squirt starting fluid the engine will start but will burn what you poured in in a moment.

If I were you I would get a gauge and confirm you are getting the correct PSI. If you are then check to see if the injectors are getting a pulse. It wouldn't hurt to run the computer codes!

My gut feeling says it is a fuel delivery problem.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
beachbumtroy

Post by beachbumtroy »

well i think my mech said he was getting 42 psi but i`ll doublecheck that number today,we r getting a pulse to the injectors though i do know that,so appreciate the reply and i`ll check on the numbers to make sure its enough today but if there is anymore help out there bring it on cause i still think im going to need it :(
wmmichael20

Post by wmmichael20 »

is there sufficent spark ? is the coil weak or plug wires bad or plugs themselves need replaced ? just ideas
beachbumtroy

Post by beachbumtroy »

appreciate the replies keep em coming yea getting good spark and just to clarify it starts up fine if u spray starting fluid in it,so that tells me im getting spark also,and the timing is right,and the computer is good,its a fuel issue and we r trying the regulator today if that doesnt fix it im freakin lost? but if that doesnt work what else? i mean he wants to pull off the intake and check to see if the injectors are spraying if the regulator doesnt fix it,my question is......... if the fuel pressures right and the computer is working why am i not getting fuel to the inside of the motor? i mean i highly doubt that all 6 injectors went bad at once? anyway keep the ideas coming and i`ll keep trying thnx bb