bronco tech

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
togosake

bronco tech

Post by togosake »

ford 2.9 L low oil pressure after rebuilding eng I rebuild me eng new pistons .010, new rod & main bearings std., new cam bearings new cam, new oil pump, timing set, new heads, lifter,
but after starting it it showes low oil pressure on gage rev eng oil pressure go's up but drops back down at idl.

dog one
Ranger Dave

Re: bronco tech

Post by Ranger Dave »

whats the pressure??
togosake

Post by togosake »

good oil pressure cool no oil pressure at running temp with 180 thermosat at itle rev up rpm pressure go's up
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Have you put an accurate gauge on the engine? Sometimes the stock gauges don't always tell the truth. Of course if a cam bearing was mispositioned upon assembly that could effect things too. What about the cam retention plate? Lots of things affect the pressure. What weight of oil are you running? Are you getting oil to the top end.. Need more info... More INPUT... Must have Input..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
togosake

Post by togosake »

yes put an accurate gauge on the engine, cam retention plate in right way oil 10-40 weight,oil up to valves, m shop say cam bearing installed right
togosake

Post by togosake »

i just replaced Timing Chain Tensioner and Timing Chain Guide no change ????????? help what to do now change oil pump or pull eng and replace Camshaft Bearing agin ?????????????
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

What is the exact PSI reading at factory idle and at 180 degrees temp?

What is the Exact PSI reading at @ 1500 rpm at 2000 rpm and 2500 rpm when cold and then when warm.

Something is not right and maybe the readings will give me a better idea of where the pressure problem is.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
drofman

Post by drofman »

was the engine hot tanked? maybe left out a oil galley plug. happen to me once.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Ya know drof that is what I am thinking a galley plug either leaking badly or missing.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
togosake

Post by togosake »

What is the exact PSI reading at factory idle and at 180 degrees temp? 0 psi
What is the Exact PSI reading at @ 1500 rpm at 2000 rpm and 2500 rpm when cold 25 /30 psi
and then when warm.10 / 20

yes engine was hot tanked
galley plugs not leaking or missing (installed front rear)
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Did you replace or hot tank the oil pump pickup tube and screen? I have seen the same pickup used after an overhaul with just a quick splash in the solvent tank. However the screen was 80 to 90% blocked with old deposits and carbon. Blocked screen means No oil Pressure when engine speed is increased.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
togosake

Post by togosake »

oil pump pickup tube and screen clean no old deposits no carbon eng only had 60,000 mile when burnet a pistion and cracked head
togosake

Post by togosake »

Checked oil pump and screen, checked cam plate, checked oil up to rockers, oil filter, put new timing chain guide, pulled cam look's like bearing in ok, all galley plug in place; checked oil pressure with new gage 20 psi cold 0 psi hot at 180 degrees temp at factory idle 900 rpm pulling eng again stripping it down to bear bock to look for a crake in one of the oil galley's (even thought the eng was checked for crakes before they bored it) any help or ?????
Thanks you
drofman

Post by drofman »

Man you have done just about everything. How about the end plugs on the rocker arm shafts? 1 time I had a problem with a shortblock I put in and I applied shop air to the oil pump hole and found a massive leak (oil galley plug in the front) to find the problem. Don't know if this will work for you.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

how bout the oil pump?? maybe the relief valve is screwed up