5.0 swap questios

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bambino

5.0 swap questios

Post by bambino »

Hey all!
Just joined the site but have been lurking for avwhile. I'm thinking about doing a swap and have some questions.
I have a 88 bii 2.9 and am hoping to find a 5.0. I read that the trans should be changed too. I wood like to keep it auto. Can i just grab any 302 with a trans? I want to just go carb for now and save myself all the headaches.
So,if i get motor and trans from say a mustang, what happens with my electronic 4x4? I need to keep 4x4 but would eventually like to change it over to manual and get rid of the push button. I guess i would have to change to manual hubs too? This all seems lie a lot of work. This is my daily driver so i need this to go smoothly and try t keep cost down!
I'm not too consirned with lift right now . Future tire size won't exceed 33" so i shouldn't need to do anything with rear right?
So basically, my questions are what should i be looking for to get all this to work?
Motor,trans and what needs to be done with4x4?
Should i just try to get everything from a 4x4 explorer or f150 or would a mustang be okay?
I'm so lost lol.
My brother did a 383 stroker into an s10 and hes a great mechanic who will be helping me. I just need a shopping list.
Again, I'm on a tight budget.
Thanks for any help!
101btp

Re: 5.0 swap questios

Post by 101btp »

lol dude you got a lot of work headed your way lol im also in the process of doing this my self and really you can use about any transmission you want that will bolt up and if not they usually make an adapter bell housing i went with a c4 transmission now they dont stock bolt up to your t case this is where an advanced adapter that joins the two comes in they are different lengths but brand new from their website are about 500 something yeah i know you are trying to keep cost down and i did to i bought an 77-80's ford c4 with an advanced adapter and a borg warner 1350 t case now this will make it so you wont have to have new or mod's to the drive shafts o by the way the whole setup of trans mission adapter and t case the transmission had the bellhousing and torque converter o and try to get the torque converter that goes with the transmission (wrong one will destroy the transmission pump and a bunch of other stuff) but i got it all for 450.00 off of craigs list but it was a round 500 or so mile drive but worth it gas was like 100 something. not if the advanced adapter is to long or two short like mine is plan on making mods to short will put the engine lower and closer to the fire wall mine has a 2 inch body lift and i still had to beat in the fire wall, to long and i think you will have to put you're core support out a little longer

you can also use the c6 and c5 but the c6 is bigger and you lose about 30 sum hp just with in the transmission but you get some more strength idk much about the c5 transmission o and try not to get a 60's c4 it isant as strong as the late 70's and on ones

o and ur t case once you take the computer out of it you lose you're electronic hook ups for it so the older ones i know dont have them newer ones im not sure but same goes with the t case and yore speedometer cable will be different.

well sorry i was not able to post more i really could write a book about all the things ive learned so far but ask as many questions as you want i will be back on hopefully later on i just gotta head out :beer:

ps i already know I have bad spelling