Driveshaft woes WTF someone help me

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
diamondjim7

Driveshaft woes WTF someone help me

Post by diamondjim7 »

HELP! :wtf: I just bought a 90 bronco 2. It has the 2.9 with a 5 speed. I hit her kind of hard out of the hole, and the driveshaft rung off. It came completly in two. When I heard it beetin up the bottom of the truck, I assumed one of the universals had broke. I couldn't believe the shaft rung off like that. I've been to two pull your own type junkyards with no success. I found a 85 but the shafts were different. Mine seems to be the one with the universals not the cv type. Any advice, help, suggestions will be appreciated.
Ranger Dave

Re: Driveshaft woes WTF someone help me

Post by Ranger Dave »

find another junk yard. a shaft from late 87 up with auto(A4LD) or 5spd(FM146) will work.
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

you can use an explorer front shaft... instructions here: http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/showthr ... rive-shaft
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

that link is useless, i dont see where it says you have to take about 2in out of the x shaft
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

Sorry about that.. I had done it before so it made complete sense with the little bits of info on my first link

ok I found a link that describes the process a bit better... even describes how to do it without switching the yoke from the exploder
on my BII I used a driveshaft from a second gen and the yoke off a first gen to get the correct stock length(or coulda been the other way around.. was 10yrs ago)... when I lifted the truck 4" it still worked fine but according to that article(never tried myself) if you had even more lift or wanted the yoke to have more travel you could use both shaft and yoke from a second gen exploder

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/ ... p?p=951683
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
diamondjim7

Post by diamondjim7 »

Hey, Thanks for the info, but I'm just a handyman kind of guy, not a mechanic. That other link looked like chinese arithmatic to me. I'm off to a different junkyard today, with hopes of finding what I need (with fingers crossed hoping it won't be a 60 mile wasted tripp) If I can't find the propper shaft, I'll look for explorers and a mechanic who knows his stuff, cause I'll be hopelessly lost. Wish me luck!
101btp

Post by 101btp »

yeah defiantly what Ranger Dave said i did the opposite and tried using the manual with automatic and 4 weeks later it ended up well what was left of it in the neighbors yard
diamondjim7

Post by diamondjim7 »

Well, I rode my motorcycle, strapped down with tools, lookin like Sanford & Son on two wheels, sixty so odd miles and found four or five Bronco ii's and not a damn one had a driveshaft that matched up with the setup under mine. Most of them had that CV joint lookin set up. SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! uRRR, sorry bout the language. I'm getting pretty bent out of shape. Tomorrow or Wednesday its off to Wilmington CA. Its about eighty plus miles round trip, but they've got three good sized junkyards over there. I used to own a 84 back home and it was a trooper and rarely gave me any trouble. I'm just bout ready to have a hell of a bronco sale, hell, I may go buy a S-10 or something. Today I saw at least three different set ups. how many did the damn things have? FoMoCo change them every year or what? Hey, Ya got any cheese to go with this wine?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

post a pic of your shaft
fnlucky

Post by fnlucky »

Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

ya,so which one ya got
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

I have an 87b11 2.9 5sp i had cv shaft when bought JUNK wanted a double cordon replacement. Found an 85 with one, I TOLD THEM when pulling it i also needed the yoke off the transfer case. Came back next day had shaft but forgot yoke it was just the frame left and they shredded it . ordered shaft from out of state and it was a C.v. A good one but went to mt local yard who had no BIIs but had my yoke on shelf at least 15 yrs they said, So get double cordon and it will fit perfectly. I replaced the 3 U joints with grease fittings wasnt that expensive and will last for life of your BII no matter how hard you play with it good luck.
diamondjim7

Post by diamondjim7 »

Hey everyone, Thanks for the links and advice. Sorry I haven't posted pics but I'm sort of (ahuuumm) technology challenged. I'm goin up to Wilmington tomorrow to a pic your part and they have 1/2 price day so maybe I'll get lucky. I found one today already pulled and they wanted 150 bucks! It may as well be 1500 cause I can't pay either right now. If I can't find one tomorrow (there are three junkyards in the area) I'll get some help and post pics of what I got. Thank all of you again, thats really cool as hell to help out like that.
fnlucky

Post by fnlucky »

well if you need help postin pics let me know ill let you send them to me and then ill upload them so we can see what were dealing with... if you can send a picture text we will be in good shape
diamondjim7

Post by diamondjim7 »

Well, I got a camera and some help. but I hollered at the bitch and she won't help me now, soooo I got my pics on my computer, but I don't know how to get them onto this site. Do I gotta use photo bucket or some other crap? By the way, If I got the whole shaft out and nothing from the transfer case to the rear end, can I lock in the front and drive the thing on a limited basis? I just need to pick up a few things in the morning for a job and its to big for my motercycle. I won't be driving it more than 30 miles round trip.