Just one fuel pump?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
UndeadBronco

Just one fuel pump?

Post by UndeadBronco »

I would like to change my 86 Bronco II 2.9L to just have one fuel pump instead of the low pressure in the tank and high pressure on the side rail. 2 pumps just makes it twice as likely that there will be a problem. And since the truck will not run if one or the other goes out I don't see sense in having 2. Has anyone done this? What pumps could work?

I would also like to eliminate the fuel canister that is mounted on the side rail just before the high pressure pump. I'm not sure what its purpose is but I believe it is only needed because of the fact that the truck uses 2 fuel pumps. I think it is a small reserve can so that tehre is a supply of fuel close to the high pressure pump in the event that the tank pump can't keep up with fuel demand if you stomp on the gas pedal. I could be wrong though, if anyone knows I'd like to hear it.
101btp

Re: Just one fuel pump?

Post by 101btp »

do you mean the black one on the rail that un screws? if so it's a filter so it wont pick up rust and other junk out of the tank and go through the hi pressure pump, but think you also put more strain on one pump
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

101btp wrote:but think you also put more strain on one pump

89 and up have one pump
101btp

Post by 101btp »

good thing his is an 86 then huh
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

101btp wrote:good thing his is an 86 then huh

that has 2,he wants to change over to 1 pump. just get a pump and pickup for a 89,the tanks are the same i belive
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

Is the pump from an 89 a direct fit or do I need to get the whole $150 assembly with the sender for that?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

take a trip to your local parts store and compare um
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

The whole sending unit out of the 89 will fit and work but the gas gauge will read backwards I did the same thing
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll