Swapping a Automatic for 5 speed

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Cornhusker Brute

Swapping a Automatic for 5 speed

Post by Cornhusker Brute »

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! What a adventure this has been, I didnt know there was so much a guy had to change. Will keep ya posted as to my next question. Kinda figuring it out on my own.
Have the 5 speed and the transfer case married but had to get a new shifter for the 4X4. Looking for the slave cylinder and the master cylinder for the clutch now. I dont think there is enough Busch lite in town.. LOL
Mud Addict

Re: Swapping a Automatic for 5 speed

Post by Mud Addict »

Do not forget about the clutch pedal and floor pan with correct holes for the sticks. And the computer needs to be changed out for one from a 5-speed truck. Am doing same thing to mine, but have an '85, so am trashing 'puter and putting in the dura-spark :D
Cornhusker Brute

Yup I got the peddles. Does anybody know how to tell on the computer if its for a automatic or 5 speed tanny. Are there number theat I can check. Got both computer's. Thanks !!!
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

which ever computer makes it run better,go with one
Cornhusker Brute

Update >>> Have everything ready to install for the 5 speed. Looking over the wiring I dont see plugs under my dash for the two switches mounted on the clutch pedal assembly. The one switch is called the clutch starter interlock switch. The other switch is mounted above. I have looked at the parts Bronco and it has a little diffrent wiring harness. Any idea's. ??? Thanks for the help
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Get out the schematics and start tracing wires.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
drofman

Post by drofman »

Looks like if you take the neutral safety swt wire (R/LB) and you can make it your clutch interlock swt. wire.
Attachments
P3200104.JPG
drofman

Post by drofman »

this is for a 88 and look like it only has one swt
drofman

Post by drofman »

is the other swt your brake light swt?
Cornhusker Brute

Thanks Guys for your help. :-) I took the B2 for a drive and found that the rebuilt tranny that I got is JUNK. :-( All/Most of the bearings are bad and the shift forks are worn. Have it all torn down and will have to search Monday for rebuild kit. Anybody have a place to look for the shift forks?? The web is full of places to buy rebuild kit's. My synchro's are OK and my gear needle bearings are OK. Printed a parts list off of the Ranger Station. Best parts list I have found.. Wll keep ya all posted.. Thanks again
Cornhusker Brute

Update >>> Transmission rebuilt. All back togeather, Took her for a 2 mile drive. No Noise-No Grinding.
Hauls Ass !!!!!! I cant believe the diffrence it made swapping out the Auto for a 5 speed. I will offer some advice if anyone is looking for parts for a 5 speed, I used Zumbrota Bearing and Gear for all my tranny parts. Great people to talk to and fast shipping. I got a complete rebuild kit and shift forks for $155.00 to my door. There web page is www.zbag.com They are out of Zombrota Minnesota.
Anyway I have a couple more things to do and recheck all the bolts. Thanks for everybodys help. I will post some pics if ya all dont mind... :-)