rebuilding a 302?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
101btp

rebuilding a 302?

Post by 101btp »

hey I was just wondering if any one here would be able to head me in the right direction on this I really don't have much experience with cylinder heads but I want to put a set of new heads possibly new pistons and cam cause I wanted to be pushing at least 300 hp and every thing is at stock specs on the motor came from a 77 crown vic but was in great condition no build up and looked just like every thing was seasoned but here is the like to summit for the cylinder heads I was looking at?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60389/?rtype=10

:tongue:
tekatlarge

Re: rebuilding a 302?

Post by tekatlarge »

Your P/N 60389 heads would be a good start but realize that part number 60389 is just the head castings with no valves or hardware.

The 351 I used in Project Philstang was specked to use EDL P/N 30259. I don't remember off the top of my head what Cam was used but it was a very street-able camshaft. I used flat top pistons, 30 over and a basically stock lower end with a Melling HV oil pump. When the engine was run on the dyno before installation it pulled 426 HP and 440 Ft Lbs of torque. Of course this was a 351 and not a 5.0 but with the heads you specked out you should have no problems reach 350+ HP.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
101btp

Post by 101btp »

Yeah lol I know their bare well they have the springs and valves any ways, I was also told that when using those heads for an older block use a solid lift cam kit and for newer use a hydraulic roller cam kit? but thinking more about the block when I was tearing it down it seems a little newer than I was told, well any ways im taking the stock heads off tonight hope their wont be any damage and get the numbers off the block

The cam had to do with deck clerance
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well I took off the head and their was a little rust in the bore so i used a bore hone lightly and cleaned it best I could now I was told this was from a 77 crown vic? but has the casting e7te?
Attachments
downsize.jpg
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

E=80's
7= year(7)
T=truck
E=engine

look for the date code on it
101btp

Post by 101btp »

their was a sca above that
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

thats not it. its a number,letter,numbers
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well looks like I will be doing some more block cleaning tonight
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

most all the major parts have a casting/date code. heads,block,intake,timing cover,water pump,bellhousings,flywheels ect
101btp

Post by 101btp »

I do know that I just did not have enough time to clean off more of the grease buildup on the block
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well I still have not been able to check out the block for numbers, it's also a roller block, I wanted to know the heads on the block do have the e7te but are injected would their be any issue to using them for a 650 cfm carb setup? ?
justinC

Post by justinC »

i have a 351 from 84 with 70 heads and a 600 cfm i think it was a injected motor and it works out fine
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I am pretty sure all you have to do is swap the intake over and you can use a carb. I didn't look at the heads but I would watch the compression ratio that you will end up with with the head/piston combo you are planning to run to make sure the gas prices don't get you. when I built my dart motor I shot for around 10:1. I also recomend you watch your RPM range on your cam/intake/stall(if auto) you plan to run. I think they make kits that have the cam, intake, and heads to all work well together. when I did mine, I looked around till I found a person that built what I wanted...then copied the build.

Edit: make sure you know what cam you got too...there is a different fireing order for different cams in the 302
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well i looked around dident find much on using ford 302 heads that are injected and going to a carb setup but it's worth a shot, and yeah i dident think about the cam firing order, i also noticed about 1/2 the 302 intakes at summer have a water port in the front and not one in the back of the intake as well but i found some that mach and look like they will bolt up right :rolleyes: but the heads have the egr in the center witch i think none of them did on summit but i think the manifold would act like a block off plate and i would also end up making block off plates for the end of each head to eliminate that tube that joins them together?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

do a google search on e5's and e7's. from what I remember those are the 2 common factory heads for the 302. some explorers came with better heads also. the things you need to look at when looking at heads are valve size, cc's on the combustion chamber and if anyone talks about "flow". I have a buddy who used to port heads who helped me. I used a set of stock heads, decked them and had them checked. I push around 300hp with all my goodies, but that is a 318(mopar) I basicly bored 30 over, becked the heads, 260h cam/lifters, aluminum intake, holly 650, long tube headers, and 40 series flows. it is alot more fun to drive the old meth mobile now :D

the EGR thing...I just made plates for the tubes in the back of the heads. so yes, that will work and get the intake with no EGR and you will be fine.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com