Starter missing the flywheel!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bronco2tank

Starter missing the flywheel!

Post by bronco2tank »

I have a 87 Bronco II with a 2.9. I bought it a couple of days ago and I replaced the usual (oil, wireset, spark plugs, battery, etc.) and I also replaced the starter. I had it running for three days in a row. However it made an awefull metal on metal squel. I thought that it was the flywheel but the next couple of times that I tried to bump it I could hear the starters bendex just spinning. Now I have just spinning and no engagement. I looked into different starters, but Ford used the same one on all the Bronco II's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ranger Dave

Re: Starter missing the flywheel!

Post by Ranger Dave »

check the flywheel
bronco2tank

Post by bronco2tank »

It was definately the flywheel! When the previous owner had done work on the tranny it wasn't aligned properly. Thus when I took the new starter back off I seen a bunch on metal shavings and a worn down flywheel. Amazingly enough the starter made it through okay. Any ideal on the easiest way to replace the flywheel? Thanks!
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

Gotta remove the transmission or motor, to get to it.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

bronco2tank wrote: Any ideal on the easiest way to replace the flywheel? Thanks!
ya might be able to slide the tranny back far enough.i replaced the clutch in a xplorer without takin the tranny out
justinC

Post by justinC »

mine has the same problem but it has happened more than once so you might keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesnt keep happening
fnlucky

Post by fnlucky »

same thing with my 88 I replaced the starter not thinking about checking the flywheel... And then it would not start made this horrid noise so I checked the fly wheel and yep metal my starter did not fare well it got stuck open and chewed up... With the changing the fly wheel well unbolt slide back best to have a good size jack and a spare set of hands to steady it... Keep us posted!