Priming the oil pump

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Hollowbase

Priming the oil pump

Post by Hollowbase »

I'm getting ready to button things up on my rebuild on a 2.9. I've figured out that there is not a priming tool available for this engine. The general consensus seems to be to get your hands on an old dizzy and remove the drive gear or turn it down. I thought about getting a new to dizzy and using my old one for priming purposes but is there a reason I can't just remove the pin that holds the gear and replace it after the priming has been completed?
wmmichael20

Re: Priming the oil pump

Post by wmmichael20 »

you can always finish puting the engine in the truck and just pull the coil wire off and roll the engine over in intervals of 10 seconds about half a dozen times or more and watch for oil pressure to rise on the gauge b4 hooking the coil wire back up
Hollowbase

Re: Priming the oil pump

Post by Hollowbase »

I thought about that but I'm just a little nervous about everything being okay and I'd rather know about any oil supply issues before I put the engine back in. I haven't rebuilt an engine in 30 years and things were a lot less complicated then.