misfire + checklight.. uk owner

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ukbronco

misfire + checklight.. uk owner

Post by ukbronco »

need some help guys i have now got my bronco back together but since doing the headgaskets and exhuast gaskets my bronco has developed a misfire when you try and keep it at a steady speed and check light comes on at same time, the light goes off when you accelarate and she runs clear but flat then.. and no light when you ease off

any ideas guys as my kids are getting whiplash when we go through speed limits and you have to keep constant revs/speed

did renew all gaskets when i had it apart i.e inlet gaskets, head, exhaust gaskets

not like i can go see anyone bout it cos i am in the uk so not many know of it here

forgot to add its had new dizzy cap and rotor arm and i checked the timing at 10 degrees before tdc as per sticker under the bonnet and in my manual

also using more fuel cos i am having to accelerate all the time to stop the missfire and it aint cheap here in the uk
oneway

Re: misfire + checklight.. uk owner

Post by oneway »

pull your spark plugs, that will tell you where the misfire is.

Also check your plug wires from the distributor cap and make sure the right wire goes from the correct pin on the cap to the correct spark plug.

also if you can, jump the check engine light code retriever under the hood if you have one. You can leave the paper clip in there as you drive and when the code is tripped, the mil light will flash. All you have to do is count the flashes and check that number on the fault code list. There should be instructions in your manual on how to perform the check engine light test and how to interpret the flashes.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Just out of curiosity, did you remove the Spout jumper when you set the timing?

Also just a thought but check the connection to and physical condition of the 02 Sensor.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ukbronco

Post by ukbronco »

tekatlarge wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you remove the Spout jumper when you set the timing?

Also just a thought but check the connection to and physical condition of the 02 Sensor.

SPOUT JUMPER....? whats that and where is it?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Remove computer plug (spout) in wiring harness at the base of upper intake manifold on passenger side of vehicle
Use timing light (10 degrees on timing mark)
Secure distributor bolt
Shut off engine and plug computer spout back in

The Spout connector is located on the passengers (US Version) side of the engine in the rear just off the engine harness... I have a picture but don't have it up where I can post it. If ya need the pic I email it to you.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ukbronco

Post by ukbronco »

oh did not know of this thanks will have to recheck mine abit then thanks for the help guys...

nothing or no one here in uk to help me out with this or parts so have to rely on you guys in the states for help on most things