headbolts...

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ukbronco

headbolts...

Post by ukbronco »

right guys and gals,

i have had my heads back from machine shop now and can get on with putting my b2 back together but i need to know weather you have to re-new the headbolts or not i know some ford 2.9 v6s did not have to have new bolts yet some did

i.e the sierra 4x4s and granada's and the like..

any help welcome as been without my b2 for over a month :frown: and dying to get it back on the road.. so if i do i can order some asap and get it all together again, i have full gasket set inc valve stem seals and 2 types of exhaust gaskets too and stainless exhaust bolts

cheers brian...
tekatlarge

Re: headbolts...

Post by tekatlarge »

YES the bolts are stretch or torque to yield bolts you can not reuse them or they will break. Also when torqing them down go with the specific torque sequence or your head gaskets will leak.
[8] [1] [4] [6] first stage goto 22 ft.lbs.
[5] [3] [2] [7] second stage to 52-55 ft. lbs.
You need to wait for the final step to allow the bolts to stretch a little. 5 minutes is a good rule of thumb so I then do the other side the same way then go back to the first head and turn each bolt in the same sequence an additional 90 degrees. Then do the second head.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ukbronco

Re: headbolts...

Post by ukbronco »

thats what i wanted to know thanks very much.... a real help to me