transmission flush/fill

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
oneway

transmission flush/fill

Post by oneway »

does anyone have a step by step for this? Did a search on here and just came up with transmission interchange and something else.

can it be done or should it be done by a mechanic? Just trying to save a few coins here.

When it's cold outside - Reverse and or OD will not engage - it's more hit or miss than absolute.....the truck will just roll. But if I give it some gas, the gear will enagage and all will be fine. No gear slippage while driving. My check engine light has been on for the longest and it will not shift into overdrive while driving.....then by some stroke of God - the check engine light will go out and I'll get OD back....then it'll come back on. The codes I got are 98 and 54. Replaced the IAT - but that didn't work. Gonna get a new battery (said the shift solenoid may act up if the battery is weak) During cold morning start ups, since the check engine light is on, the idle is very rough - around 600rpm - then I'll watch the battery gauge go down down down and then the truck will shut off....but starts up fine right after. Code 54 says the IAT or VAT is receiving too high of a signal. Should only get 5v - mine is receiving 13v.

Only have the owner's manual - which sucks ass. Decided to throw a bit of work and $$ at the old truck since I'm picking up a trailer and bought my 2nd motorcycle. Gotta have something to get me to the track.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
oneway

Re: transmission flush/fill

Post by oneway »

is this transmission fluid or power steering fluid? It leaks pretty bad, especially during warm up in the morning...there is actually fluid drips on the FRONT of the vehicle on the flap underneath the bumper. You can see the fluid marks on the inside of the bumper. Can I unhook those hoses without a lot of fluid spewing everywhere?

Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

follow the lines see where they go
oneway

Post by oneway »

lol - if they went to a power steering pump - I wouldn't know because I dunno what that looks like.

if they go to some kind of transmission pump - I wouldn't know because I dunno what that looks like.

I don't even know where my transmission fluid pan is to take that off ....nor do I know where to put in more transmission fluid. Nothing under the hoods says "transmission fluid" except for the dipstick and I know they don't expect you to pour transmission fluid down that skinny ass tube :cool: reason why I need a service manual - but refuse to pay $30+ for one.

I'll crawl up under there again tonight...

surprised a forum as specific as this has 0 write ups / how-to's for the simple things for simpletons like me :redneck: sorry I'm not a bronco enthusiast....but I do love the truck and am willing to put in the work to get her running correctly.
drofman

Post by drofman »

pay the 30 bucks. if you don't know where to fill the tranny, you need one.
wmmichael20

Post by wmmichael20 »

go to the parts store and look on there shelves for a manual I go mine as auto zone for 12 dollars i believe its a haynes , and the trans pan in on the bottom of your trans its big and flat and made of tin, the dip stick tube is where you fill your auto trans so get a small funnel and your power steering pump is on the front of the engine and has a cap on it that says power steering fluid rt on it , hope it helps in a pinch until u find u a manual
oneway

Post by oneway »

Advance Auto has the manual - checked last night, but it's $25. I don't get how something so old costs so much. I'd be happy if this truck lasted through 2011 and into the Winter next year - but not hard pressed if it doesn't I think it has around 240k miles on it and counting. The 1st owner said he saw the odometer hit all 9's once...the people I bought it from said they saw it hit all 9's once....I bought it at 40k in November 2010...today it is at 48k.

I'd rather put that money toward something for the truck....not a manual that I'll prolly use once to fix the few issues I want to address...one of which is the check engine code 54 and that kinda stuff you don't find in a manual.

I don't know where to fill the tranny because I've never in my life filled a tranny on any vehicle - let alone drain the trans fluid.

I've found out that you don't want to have a flush done on old transmissions because the gunk in the pan or else where may actually get loosened up and cause more damage than good. So I'll just drop the pan and clean it out, then fill it up.

I have filled the power steering fluid on this truck before....I would turn the wheel and it would make this LOUD ridiculous whining noise. I knew it needed fluid - that wasn't hard to do.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I have one comment on this whole stupid thread.

If you find 25 dollars for a manual a waste of money I feel sorry for you!

No excuse, I feel that is the lamest thing I have heard.

If you have never worked on Cars before you better set down with a manual and learn what the hell you are doing. You will either injure yourself, Someone else, Screw something up good or make a unsafe change to your vehicle.

You keep referring to yourself as being a motorcycle mechanic! The problem is I don't know of any mechanic wanting to do a serious job that brags about NEVER having worked on a car and not needing a manual to fix one.
Contrary to popular belief there is a difference between just making it work and actually fixing something.

Now go ahead and rant at me if you will it's only fair. go ahead and prove the intelligence.

I'm done. I'm outta here.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
oneway

Post by oneway »

LOL no need to rant or return rant on the internet. Had I been asking the questions I was asking AFTER I attempted to do some work without the manual and with the zero knowledge I have of the vehicle - then I could better understand your rant. But I didn't do that did I?

I acknowledged from the beginning that the questions I was asking were very noob. And I never said I was a motorcycle mechanic - I said I wrench on them and spend all my time on them. I haven't owned a car in about 2 or 3 years....let alone a $685, 20 year old truck that needs work. It doesn't make financial sense to put TONS of time or money into such a vehicle...however I do need it to operate as normal and remain reliable as it has been - so I thought I could ask here and get some quick answers to some basic issues from the more experienced people on here....I think that's the definition of "web-based forum" ....could be wrong though.

I am getting the manual today though and gettin dirty tomorrow in the garage. :beer: Everyone was a noob at some point at something - sorry if you are that experienced you'd rather point out how stupid a noob is rather than share your knowledge on what should be very basic and easy answers for you to provide.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Now don't take this the wrong way but have you thought about taking a ROP courses at your local High School in Auto Shop? It's a great way to learn basic repairs and theory of components functions and it’s free. Yes we were all noobs (I guess I’m too old to know what that means. I think it means newbie) But what I get out of this site is if you have tried everything you can think of and still can’t fix it. May be someone can point you to a direction you haven’t thought about or had the same problem and fixed it.
oneway

Post by oneway »

Kinda old for highschool :)

by the way, $26 for a Haynes manual covering 83- 92 Ranger and Bronco II - yea this has got to be the worst manual known to human civilization. The illustrations suck big time and they too assume you know where everything is already and give very vague descriptions of where stuff is. And for the 2.9L V6 there's almost nothing in the entire manual. I hope the 2.8L V6 has the same wiring diagram and parts description because that's what I'm going to be using today.

Directions on how to change the trans fluid - check.
Illustrations showing where the pan is - none

LOL - on one part - they are talking about where a part is, but the damn pic in the manual is of the dude's arm and the wrench he's using :rolleyes2:
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

where is the oil pan on a engine????? where is the oil pan on any engine??? WTF oh ya,where is the oil pan/resivore on most motorcycle engines?? crawl under the freeeekin thing and have a look. why dont you turn to page 7B-8, pic 9.21 and 9.23 doesnt that look like a pan of some sort that would hold fluid
oneway

Post by oneway »

:rolleyes2: apparently this manual only goes up to 7B-6. Illustrations 9.21 is of oil cooler lines and 9.23 is the location of the transmission filler tube bolt (C5 transmission shown)

but thanks anyway
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

oneway wrote::rolleyes2: apparently this manual only goes up to 7B-6. Illustrations 9.21 is of oil cooler lines and 9.23 is the location of the transmission filler tube bolt (C5 transmission shown)

DO YOU SEE THE FU**IKG OIL PAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in those pics HELLO. Im done with you :finger: