front hubs overheating

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
303lithgow

front hubs overheating

Post by 303lithgow »

I used my 4wd yesterday and after going back into 2wd my front hubs overheated at freewayt speeds. I could tell something was wrong and pulled over to check them. I had to wait about half an hour for them to cool before continueing but didn't have any more problems. I had turns the manual hubs free after going back to 2wd. I was using 4Low if that makes any differance.

Any ideas?
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer
Ranger Dave

Re: front hubs overheating

Post by Ranger Dave »

303lithgow wrote:I used my 4wd yesterday and after going back into 2wd my front hubs overheated at freewayt speeds. I was using 4Low if that makes any differance.

Any ideas?

your in 4X4 on dri pavement,at freewayt speeds and in 4low??? :wtf: :hmmm: :eek:
303lithgow

Re: front hubs overheating

Post by 303lithgow »

Ranger Dave wrote:
303lithgow wrote:I used my 4wd yesterday and after going back into 2wd my front hubs overheated at freewayt speeds. I was using 4Low if that makes any differance.

Any ideas?

your in 4X4 on dri pavement,at freewayt speeds and in 4low??? :wtf: :hmmm: :eek:
No! I was in 4Low offroad and going about 2 mph. I turned the hubs free and went to 2High and got on the freeway and thats when it started to overheat. I stopped and checked them after about 5 miles of 60 mph. They were hot so I backed up 20 feet, waited a bit for them to cool and hit the road again. They didn't heat up after that. I've been told I don't need to back up after going in 4wd but decided it wouldn't hurt.
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer