New motor smoking Question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
3000psi and falling

New motor smoking Question

Post by 3000psi and falling »

My new rebuilt motor is burning oil, Cold starting- no smoke, after 20- 30 sec it starts burning oil at idle. If you rev it just a bit you get cloulds of burnt oil smoke out of the exhaust. I pulled all the plugs, I found plugs in #2 and 6 soaked in oil and oil mist shooting from 2,6 cylinders while cranking. I also pressure tested the cooling system and found no drop in pressure over an hour. The oil level is correct, Runs very good, sounds good, no miss, good throttle response.
Ranger Dave

Re: New motor smoking Question

Post by Ranger Dave »

how do you know its rebuilt???? you pull the pan and check the bearings??? pull the VC's to see if its clean?? or anything?? i have one with 209,000mi on it and it doesnt smoke,tick,rap or skip a beat,you wouldnt know if it was rebuilt or not,thats how good it runs

when was it "rebuilt" how long has it been sittin?? did you oil the cyls before you tried starting it?? maybe the rings are stuck,maybe its not rebuilt
3000psi and falling

Post by 3000psi and falling »

Im sure it was rebuilt. I Bought it as a long block with out the Vc's or pan on yet, it had not seen oil yet. Still had assembly lube on all parts, warranty and documentation from a local machine shop Boared (.30 over). Everything had been hot tanked and looked as new. Also had brand new updated heads with the bigger rocker pedestals with the paperwork from the shop they were bought from. My pressure test shows 180psi accross all 6. It had ben sitting for about 2 years according to the dates on the paperwork and what the owner told me. The motor had been fogged for storage, but yes I did oil each cyl first.

Now that im done explaing how I came to the conclusion that its was rebuilt, I have found the problem. I found oil spraying from cyl's 2 and 6 plug holes, I removed the lower intake manifold to find the valley gasket was leaking oil into the runners for 2 and 6. Straight edge showed the intake being warped for some unknown reason. The runners on the heads are straight, So Id think a new intake gasket set and a replacement intake manifold will fix this issue. Gasket set will be here next week, and I have a Parts 2.9 I can take the intake from.

On a better note the centerforce stage 2 clutch kit was a success! It felt great on my test run, Can wait to hit the trails with this little 80's rig!
XR75ER

Post by XR75ER »

could be that the valve seals were not seated properly. thats where i'd start looking. :usa: