Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
303lithgow

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Post by 303lithgow »

I have the pleasure of replacing the passenger side valve cover gasket. Any good hints?
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer
Ranger Dave

Re: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Post by Ranger Dave »

take the bolts out first
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

Ranger Dave wrote:take the bolts out first
Actually I have to unhook other items first.
1970 F250 Camper Special
drofman

Post by drofman »

Pass. side is the easy side. Remove bolts and hold down spacer (note that there is different spacers for the top and corners) clean the heck out of everything, even the holes. Make sure V/C is flat. Put gasket on V/C side with gasket cinch or spray adhesive. Assemble in reverse order. Oh, put a dab of silicone where the intake manifold meets the head. Tighten bolts about a week later and every oil change.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

drofman wrote:Pass. side is the easy side. Remove bolts and hold down spacer (note that there is different spacers for the top and corners) clean the heck out of everything, even the holes. Make sure V/C is flat. Put gasket on V/C side with gasket cinch or spray adhesive. Assemble in reverse order. Oh, put a dab of silicone where the intake manifold meets the head. Tighten bolts about a week later and every oil change.
Thanks, I didn't notice the differance in the spacers and lined them up when I was cleaning them. I dropped one taking the v/c off and it took me an hour to find it. Just glad I didn't didn't fall into the head.

I did the pass side today and thought it was going to be the hardest because of the a/c. It took me six hours! Bet I could do the otherside in two.
1970 F250 Camper Special
drofman

Post by drofman »

The real question is how many beers in 6 hours. That's the way I judge my jobs at home. Warranty used to pay 1.2. CP 2.5. I should of told you it may be easier if you pull the ALT.
drofman

Post by drofman »

1.2 for both
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

drofman wrote:The real question is how many beers in 6 hours. That's the way I judge my jobs at home. Warranty used to pay 1.2. CP 2.5. I should of told you it may be easier if you pull the ALT.

No beers but a dozen cups of coffee and I have a TV and sofa in the garage. Its not like I'm going to get fired if I get caught watching TV and drinking coffee.

I went to the bone yard today for a few things and noticed some 2.9L engines had differant keepers in the corners and some didn't even have any anywhere.

The gaskets that I took out were semi-brittle and crumbled easily. The leak wasn't too bad but then one day it really was leaking. I've only owned the B2 for a month or so. The good news is it doesn't leak anymore.
1970 F250 Camper Special
drofman

Post by drofman »

It's nice to have a ride that doesn't leak BP. I just did pistons in my Sons jetski and it took 4 beers to rip apart and 6 to put back together and it runs :beer: . I'd have to clean the garage to fit a tv and sofa. I need to get rid of some stuff!!! It's good stuff and as soon as I get rid of it I'll need it :redneck: .