88 bronco 2 trouble

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
darben83

88 bronco 2 trouble

Post by darben83 »

2.9L 4x4 Auto

I bought this truck wrecked for about 300 bucks. still started. I replaced body work from pull a part. fendor, headlights, grill.

installed a new radiator, flow over/washer fluid res, ac compressor hose and pulled out all of the body work myself. new tires and a new battery.

Now I got all of that done and got my tags and such and bumped it and it started right up with no issues. Driving down the road i had a really bad shimmy for about 15 minutes and it just stopped. For the first day on the road it ran fantastic.

So the second day I was driving down the road on a small 30 minute venture and was doing about 60 mph. I got hit with an incredible lack of power, rpm's just dropped, the truck still runs at this point but I have to put the peddle almost all the way down just to maintain speed up to 45.. but it will not accelerate. If I punch the peddle all the way down it will full throttle accelerate like nothing is wrong but if i let off just a little the rpm's drop again and i lose speed. If I let my foot off the gas and allow the rpm's to drop.. they will do so and they truck will cut off. it'll start right back up and be fine for a few more moments before it does it again..

Any clue at all as to what my issue might be?

I guess that I will also mention that the gas gauge does not work at all and i'm a little concerned as to how well the heat gauge is working.
Welding fool

Re: 88 bronco 2 trouble

Post by Welding fool »

Sounds a lot like a lack of fuel, maybe the filter or the pump sock clogged. There are a few other things it could be also. But if it were mine I would start by checking/replaceing the fuel filter.
darben83

Re: 88 bronco 2 trouble

Post by darben83 »

Thanks for the advice there. I also was told that it could be in the exhaust.. cat clogged up or something so I may get that checked out as well.