battery not charging

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jessezipper

battery not charging

Post by jessezipper »

hey guys, ive got an 89 b2 with the 2.9 v6. i had my alternator checked, its ok. with the b2 off, the battery reads 11.7, when the b2 is running its putting out 12.4. any ideas what would be bad??????
RakerBill60

Re: battery not charging

Post by RakerBill60 »

If your battery has removable tops, check the water levels. if they are low, it could be the cause of it not fully charging, or holding a charge.
What type is it? How old is it? Age and weather can have a factor on it as well.
Hope this helps ya.
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

the battery does have removeable caps, i removed em it was low so i filled em. still the same results. i have no idea how old it is, i just bought the b2 like 2 weeks ago. i was thinking its the battery , tomorrow ill prolly take the battery out of my crown vic and put it in there n see what happens..
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

found the issue. bad negative cable, it rubbed the frame
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

ok so i really need help now, i replaced the bad negative cable. still same issue , no charge and light still on. i also replaced the voltage regulator on the back of alternator. still the same thing. i cant start it now. running its only putting out 11.6..WTF now is the issue, the alternator?? the computer???
drofman

Post by drofman »

If the ALT good?????? Check for power on the BK/O(black with orange tracer) and Y/W(yellow with white tracer) at ALT. If no power, it's a fuse link off the starter relay, green fuse link with the BK/O wire off of it. Computer has nothing to do with it.
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

well i read on the ranger forum a trick to do . i started it , and disconected the negative cable on battery and it instantly died.. it said doin that that the alt is bad.... i checked all wires and all were good..
drofman

Post by drofman »

I thought you said you had the ALT checked and it was good. Where did you have it checked?
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

lol advanced autoparts, they did a bench test to it. i plan on getting the vehicle up to either autozone or napa and having another opinion on it.... i am totally confused to a point on it..
XR75ER

Post by XR75ER »

definetly the fuseable link. alt putting out battery not chargeing definetly link.
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

before i go look , where is the fuseable link????
drofman

Post by drofman »

Did you check for power where I told you in the above post? That will tell you if it's the fuse link. Fuse link is at the starter relay right fender behind the battery. If no power at Alt. and power after fuse link you'll have to follow the wite to find the open cicuit.
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

found the fusible link, its toast, i went to 3 different autopart stores and noone knows what to replace it with...... any help here would be great!!!
drofman

Post by drofman »

junk yard. make sure it's the green one (14 GA) also, it fried for a reason check for short.
jessezipper

Post by jessezipper »

it was coroded bad, i cant get one at the dealer????