cracks on power window blls door panels

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
zookeyknee

cracks on power window blls door panels

Post by zookeyknee »

on my 87 bll w power windows I noticed the sheet metal on the drivers door was totally cracked through the inner skin when i removed the door trim for a check and gear grease etc. I used 2 and 3 inch stanley hardware flat half inch drilled stock and bridged the cracks w drilling & using five sixteenths short bolts and lock nuts. Works good but there is still a lot of twisting and flexing when powering the window up&down. I can see where all this movement could cause these cracks. Checked pass door found same cracking. Doors are rust free otherwise solid.Anyone have this problem?? like to hear how you all addressed this. Im not a welder but will try all suggestions you bllers may have.Thanks in advance Ford Man 45 yrs
XR75ER

Re: cracks on power window blls door panels

Post by XR75ER »

yep have the same problem on my86 b2 :mad2: I ground the crack and welded it, added a piece of flat sotck over it and welded it in place. still flexes when you close the windows.
drofman

Post by drofman »

It's always a good idea to drill a hole at the end of the crack before welding so it won't crack again after you weld it.
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

Thanks for the advice. Ill find a weld shop and the hole drilled at the ends of the cracks makes the fix more permanent at least a lot longer lasting Ford man 45