2.9 to 5.0 swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
RakerBill60

2.9 to 5.0 swap

Post by RakerBill60 »

I don't want to get too many posts on here, but I have a question. I own an 87 BII 2.9 AOD 4X4. Is it possible to install a 5.0 to the stock tranny? I read the article on the 4.0 swap, but I want to install a 5.0 and have it carbureted. Is there enough room to get everything in there? If it was a 4X2, it would be a lot easier.
Can any other front and rear axle housings be installed using the stock geometry?
I don't want to go overboard on it, and spend a ton of money on mods, just make it a little stronger for trail and desert driving. I want to add a 4" lift eventually.
Are there any decent places to get aftermarket parts for the 2.9? ie: headers, exhaust, computer chip, Flares and such?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics of her to follow.
Thanks to all. :beer:
Ranger Dave

Re: 2.9 to 5.0 swap

Post by Ranger Dave »

your stock tanny wont fit, ued the D35 and 8.8 from a xplorer
Welding fool

Post by Welding fool »

RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

I appreciate the posts for my BII. I read the article, and I am going to order the book so I can read all the way through it.
From what I read earlier today the Dana 35 is a bolt in, and the 8.8 will need some modifications to the spring perches, but it looks like an easy swap.
My next question is: Where can I find out what transfer case I have, and I see in the article that a C-4 or C-5 will work behind the 5.0. My transfer case should work ok with the 5.0, and be able to be bolted behind the C-4 or C-5 tranny?
Also from what I read, I plan on doing a 4" body lift instead of a 4" suspension lift to make more room for the 5.0 and C-4
Does anyone know if there is a BII club in the southeastern part of Idaho?
Thanks again, and I look forward to this forum, and to halp as many fellow BII owners.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

ya dont NEED a BL, if ya use a C4,you need the rear output shaft and adapter from a C5 to use the stock transfer. the only transfer ever behind a C4 was a D20
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Thanks for the reply. My tranny is the A4LD, so I will crawl unfer mine this afternoon, and find the tag on it to see what it is. I would hope to be able to use it instead of having to replace it with a different one behind the C4.
I found a link to A4LD tranny kits and such.
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/a4ld.htm
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

read my lips

the STOCK trannys(no matter what they are) WILL NOT FIT a V8.with out big $$$$$$$ adapters if there is one
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

My apologies, I meant to get the number off of my transfer case, not the tranny. I would be using the C4 instead of the A4LD. And I had read your post about using the input shaft and other parts necessary from the C5 in the C4.
Thank you for your replies rangerdave.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

the transfer case is a 1350
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Okay, is that a good case, or should I go with another type? I know Dana's have always been a good case. If I use this one, I am going to rebuild it, and replace all of the seals, and chain.
I have the lever to engage the transfer case instead of switches and motors which to me is the better way to go.
Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if ya use the C5 you use the 1350/1354's,if ya use a C4(without swapping shafts) ya use the D20.
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

I would rather use the C4, so I will need to find a donor C5 tranny for the ouput shaft and tail adaptor.
Awesome. thanks.