85 BII 2.9L parts and repair questions.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
monitor51

85 BII 2.9L parts and repair questions.

Post by monitor51 »

I purchased my BII last winter for all of $100. For that kind of money I figure it will be a fun project. I got my shopping list of things together that I want to replace then I stated looking for parts. For the engine it's pretty much plugs, wires, belts, hoses, gaskets, alternator, maybe the water pump while I'm at it, carb rebuild kit or possible replace. That is to make it go. Probably going to have to do a full break replace which is fine by me.

While looking on line for parts pretty much everything I found specified the 2.8 not the 2.9. Are the parts one in the same? Or different as I'm fearing? Or some yes and some no?

I'm also aware that sometimes parts from Rangers, Explorers, maybe the Taurus maybe interchangeable. I'm not looking for a full list of items that are interchangeable at this point, just looking to see if I'm on the right track.

I'm hoping to make a run to my local Pick-A-Part to see what kind of treasures I can find. After I post this I plan to cruise the forums here to see what I can find. Where is a good place to order parts from. O'Riley auto parts on line had a lot of the things I'm looking for but mostly specified the 2.8. I scour Craigslist and sometimes Ebay also.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.
Ranger Dave

Re: 85 BII 2.9L parts and repair questions.

Post by Ranger Dave »

the 2.8 is carbed,29 is EFI. i think the only thing they share is the bellhousing
monitor51

Re: 85 BII 2.9L parts and repair questions.

Post by monitor51 »

Well now I'm confused what I've got at home. Guess I'll have to double check to find out what I've got there. So if it is a 2.9 I'm probably going to have a hard time finding parts :confused: