Air Conditioning

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
303lithgow

Air Conditioning

Post by 303lithgow »

My B2 has a/c but its dead and uses the old R12. I've bought a bottle of the new stuff and the fittings but don't know which is the low side. I've found both the hi and low so I just need to know which is which. Is the low side near the unit that goes into the cabin or near the compressor?
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer
Welding fool

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by Welding fool »

On R-12 systems the lowside fitting is the larger one, but when you change over to 134-A (if you use the adapters) the low side fitting is the smaller one. Another way of telling is the low side line is a larger dia and the high side line is smaller, the high side line goes from the compressor to the condenser (in front of radiator) low side line into cabin from compressor.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

read the instructions
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

Welding fool wrote:On R-12 systems the lowside fitting is the larger one, but when you change over to 134-A (if you use the adapters) the low side fitting is the smaller one. Another way of telling is the low side line is a larger dia and the high side line is smaller, the high side line goes from the compressor to the condenser (in front of radiator) low side line into cabin from compressor.
Thanks, thats what I thought. Just wanted a second opinion. It works great now. It took two lbs of the 134A so it was completely empty. At 1500 RPM and 60 degrees it runs at 25PSI which is the low side of pressure. I could put more in and bring it up to 35PSI but will wait till its about 80 degrees and recheck it. At 80 degrees it should run between 40-50PSI.

Wish it would warm up. Isn't it summer yet?
1970 F250 Camper Special
Welding fool

Post by Welding fool »

I'm glad that helped, now you say it ain't summer yet :wtf: Where the heck are ya? It's been in hitting the mid to high 90's around here for over a month.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

Welding fool wrote:I'm glad that helped, now you say it ain't summer yet :wtf: Where the heck are ya? It's been in hitting the mid to high 90's around here for over a month.
I live in Woodinville, Wa which is near Seattle. Yesterdays low was 54 and the high was 61.
1970 F250 Camper Special
kkrueger

Post by kkrueger »

I have the 134 refill and the fittings to update the system. Is that all I have to do?

I've been trying to learn all I can about AC systems this weekend and was afraid I had to completely clean the whole system and replace the dryer, all O rings, etc... If this is not the case that'd be great!

When my AC worked it was the coldest air around, I miss it.
1987 Bronco II my favorite of the 3 I've owned.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

kkrueger wrote:I have the 134 refill and the fittings to update the system. Is that all I have to do?

I've been trying to learn all I can about AC systems this weekend and was afraid I had to completely clean the whole system and replace the dryer, all O rings, etc... If this is not the case that'd be great!

This link might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorodifluoromethane
1970 F250 Camper Special
drofman

Post by drofman »

I was going thru a lb of R12 a year and had to go to Mexico with my gauges to fill her up (did you know that if you bring a can of R12 across the Border it just like drugs) but a friend of mine got this butane base stuff that works great. It has bigger molecules and I just added a can this year (3 years it lasted) and work good in older systems like we have. I ‘ll see if I can get the web site from him and let you guys know. He buys it by the case for him and friends like me and the price is not bad. I live in San Diego so I use the A/C a lot.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

drofman wrote:I was going thru a lb of R12 a year and had to go to Mexico with my gauges to fill her up (did you know that if you bring a can of R12 across the Border it just like drugs) but a friend of mine got this butane base stuff that works great. It has bigger molecules and I just added a can this year (3 years it lasted) and work good in older systems like we have. I ‘ll see if I can get the web site from him and let you guys know. He buys it by the case for him and friends like me and the price is not bad. I live in San Diego so I use the A/C a lot.
You can even buy recovered R12 here in the states. Not sure of the price.
1970 F250 Camper Special
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

found my leak.

Welding fool

Post by Welding fool »

kkrueger wrote:I have the 134 refill and the fittings to update the system. Is that all I have to do?

IMHO it's worth your time to flush the intire system replace the dryer as it can't be flushed change your O-rings. Be sure to get some ester oil to go with the 134-A because if you flush the system correctly you'll loose all the oil or most in the system.
drofman

Post by drofman »

http://www.es-refrigerants.com . The 12a stuff and the 6 oz can is the same as a lb can. I love this stuff.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

Welding fool wrote: IMHO it's worth your time to flush the intire system replace the dryer as it can't be flushed change your O-rings. Be sure to get some ester oil to go with the 134-A because if you flush the system correctly you'll loose all the oil or most in the system.
How do I replace the dryer?
1970 F250 Camper Special
Welding fool

Post by Welding fool »

On an 87 the dryer is mountedright in front of the blower housing with a bracket attatching it to the blower housing. There is one threaded fitting and ond quick lock fitting, you'll need a speacial tool to release the quick lock fitting. You can pick this tool up at most auto parts stores.