Questions about '84 Bronco II

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mudd

Questions about '84 Bronco II

Post by mudd »

I hope this is not TOO repetitive I tried to search the forum for information first. I am looking at an '84 Bronco II Manual on craigslist of course and everything runs fine according to the ad. I have not had a chance to call the owner yet to ask the owner questions. First I had some questions for all of you, thanks in advance:
-They are asking 1300 I was going to offer 1000 I know you do not have much info on it but does that sound reasonable?
-how is the gas mileage and how well do they start in the winter in general, since it is carbuerated.
-Is there anything I should be asking about specifically and are there any repairs that if they have been done on this truck they are a red flag of a larger problem?
-The Bronco also seems to have oversized tires, does that make a big difference in how any part last like wheel bearings, cv joints, axles?
-Also roughly how much does tires size lower mpg?
-Since it is an 84' Manual with 2.8 and doesn't have push button 4wd so I'm hoping it will be fairly reliable because there' won't be a risk of head cracking, or issues with transmission that I have heard of with autos or 4wd problems push buttons have. It seems like a fairly bare bones basic 4x4 with not too many electronics that can break does that make sense?.
-Are there certain places I should look for rust on it?
-Anything else to check when I go look at it
-Is it worth bringing it to a garage and what should I have them look at.
-Any way to check that a gas gauge is working easily, not just full but med and low? I had a car before with a broken one and it was miserable.
-Why do people swap out the Dana 28s? I don't know much about off roading but if I go once and awhile will I be fine with the 28?
-I am also wondering if I should worry about that electric engine control 4 which I heard there have been issues with.
-Also juut curious in general about how people feel about driving 26 year old vehicles are a lot of things worn out and needing to be replaced? This car is older than me so it makes me nervous but there are so many active members here so i'm hoping its a good buy since you all enjoy yours.

Sorry again for all the questions I know they're all over the place and some may be very simple. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it
Bronc 2 84

Re: Questions about '84 Bronco II

Post by Bronc 2 84 »

Well I've had my 84 BII for almost a year.I haven't had any problems at all with it.It starts everyday with out a problem it does need to warm up in the winter though.Although when i bought it i had to replace some parts on it (tie rods,cat converter,wheel bearings,brakes,and a full tune-up including rebuilt carb).The manual trans is good no problem there.Anyways to your other questions my answers are based on my truck and what i've seen on others.

Well my gas mileage is around 9-10 per gallon I do have 31's

Rust is gonna be the typical fenders,panels and doors just depends on how bad it is
1984 Bronco II