Manual Trans V.S. Auto Trans

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronc 2 84

Manual Trans V.S. Auto Trans

Post by Bronc 2 84 »

I'm gonna be doing an engine swap to my 84 BII.I'm putting in a 302.My question is should I put in an Auto or Manual tranny for 4 wheelin and being a daily driver truck.Which one would be more better.I've had mixed answers people tell me not to do a Manual because it will get stuck in the mud easier.What are your oponions on it.Thanks
1984 Bronco II
hblydlx

Re: Manual Trans V.S. Auto Trans

Post by hblydlx »

man is good if your experienced, you can easily rock back and forth and hold gears for more torque but an auto is ALOT easier just mash the skinny pedal and hold on, with less to do inside rig more attention for trail ahead... either one can get the job done with the right driver
2000 F150 4.6L 33" MUD COUNTRYS
1988 BII 2.9L 3" BODY LIFT 31" BFG
2005 SKIDOO MXZ 600HO SDI
tekatlarge

Re: Manual Trans V.S. Auto Trans

Post by tekatlarge »

An automatic in M.H.O is better suited where smooth steady long term pulling is needed. In a manual your either engaged or slipping. Slipping is OK but will toast the clutch sooner. I used to swear by manual trans all the way and you couldn't get me to drive an automatic. Over the years Auto trans technology has grown and even the old lowly A4LD can be made to work good and be reliable. I am also old and tired so I got tired of shifting in traffic. I still like the hell out of a stick but I do enjoy just mashing on the skinny pedal too.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast