1985 Carbureted 2.8, poor mileage.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
cajun66

1985 Carbureted 2.8, poor mileage.

Post by cajun66 »

Well. I finished the automatic to 5 speed swap. Runs and drives great (even considering the retread mud tires.). Here's the rub: I'm getting a max of 13 mpg. Smells rich too but the catalyst was removed a long time ago. Was thinking of leaning the carb out until it pings then turning the fuel up some. But is the Motorcraft carb serviceable? I also have a Holley carb I could try.

What say you?
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
Ranger Dave

Re: 1985 Carbureted 2.8, poor mileage.

Post by Ranger Dave »

the jets and power valve can be changed. if it were mine, ide get rid of the 2150 and install a 2100
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey cajun66, I have an 84 that only does 13mpg as well, and that is after a rebuilt carb, new rotor, distributor cap, plugs and wires and new 02 sensor and auto throttle control sensor, and the egr valve cleaned out. So you are not alone. I have read others here who get over 20mpg from their 2.8L Broncos so there is surely something wrong with our's lol. Dave answered your post I see and he is one of the more knowledgable 'players' here, so whatever he said I would take notice of. I have no clue what he said but if you know then try it and see if it helps. I would love to know if it does and then if somebody could tell me what he was saying it would be great. I am real dumb when it comes to proper names or numbers for certain engine parts.
Colin
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

I found 2 screws at the bottom front of the carb. Turned them both out 1/2 turn and instantly got a cleaner idle, exhaust isn't so potent, more bottom end power, and so far it seems like I'm getting more miles to a fillup.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Those are your mixture screws. What I have done in the past is after it warms up good, let it idle in park, or neutral if ya have a manual, make sure the parking brake is on for safety!
Start with either side, and turn it in slowly until it starts running rough, then turn it back out until it starts idling smoothly, then turn it 1/8 further.
Do the other side the same way, it will take a couple of times to get them pretty close. Do not go by the number of turns for each screw, as each side can have a different setting.
As you drive it, you can tell if it is running rich or lean, and make the appropriate adjustments.