Disable 4wd rather that cut off u joints?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Skilfngr

Disable 4wd rather that cut off u joints?

Post by Skilfngr »

got a 89 b2 2.9 manual. been told my front u joints are shot and that they need to be cut off due to the rust, chicago truck. horrible clanking noise when I drive, used to be only while i was coasting, now it is always. Seems to studder slightly up to 3rd gear, not really a lack of power. Is there a way to disable the front axle for the 4x4 or do I I have to change the u joints. the shop wants like $900+ and I dont have the tools and maybe the knowledge to do it myself. I have to drive out to WY, 1.4k mi in less than 3 weeks lol
clem

Re: Disable 4wd rather that cut off u joints?

Post by clem »

It must have auto hubs, as in you don't have to get out to lock them type. $900.00 is way too high shop around or learn to do it yourself. You either got money or time, I mean you can pay somebody 'cause you don't have the time or you make the time to save the money. U-joints require simple tools and brute force, if you got a vise it helps. get yourself a hub socket like those pictured in the tools and fab section, just look up hub wrench. Good luck. -Jeff
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

How can i tell if my u-joints are shot? my bro thinks they r but hes not exactly the best mechanic in the world if u know what i mean....
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

My front diff is missing several teeth on the ring gear. I just don't use 4WD intil I get it fixed. But I don't know if the late model is the same as my 85.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5