Voltage to Ignition Coil-No spark-Help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bronco2MGM

Voltage to Ignition Coil-No spark-Help

Post by bronco2MGM »

Okay, here goes. I have no spark, I got spark once but not again. I have replaced the ignition coil, relay checked ground connections, connections going to the coil but I get no spark. I am getting voltage of around 300 volts when the car is attempting to start so I know my coil is good (even went to get another coil, never hurts to have a spare) but when I try and ark it I get nothing. Does anyone have an idea? This has got me stumped
drofman

Re: Voltage to Ignition Coil-No spark-Help

Post by drofman »

if you're getting spark out of coil wire and not to the plugs, it's rotor or cap. if nothing out of coil wire, could be dist. stator or TFI mod... just throwing it out to you
bronco2MGM

Post by bronco2MGM »

Sorry for the delayed responce. I am only getting a spark once in a blue moon. Could it be that the B2 is not grounded properly?
KRE

Post by KRE »

Yes it could be, and that can be checked quickly with a ohm meter, or test light. If test light, take the clip and place it onto the + post of the battery, then to the - side to insure the light is working.
With the probe, touch the engine in many places, including the Dist case. Everywhere you touch, the light should light up, if your touching metal and not paint. Also have someone try to start the the engine while the test light is touching the Dist case, if it goes out while trying to start, you have a ground until the load is such, that the ground opens up. Do this same thing to the coil housing, as it has a ground wire as well. Used properly a test light will locate a open or defective curcuit. This is something that comes with exper., but can be learned very quickly with help.

Useing a ohm meter is better but you need to know how to understand what the meter is telling you first. Most meters comes with books on how to translate basic meter reading. I can run you threw it but, I need to know your abilitys first, to save bandwith.

Good luck