1985 2.8 V6 question...

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
scene red

1985 2.8 V6 question...

Post by scene red »

I know this isn't a tech question but I wasn't sure where else to ask since I'm not placing an ad. I have a 2.8 carbuerated V6 in a 1985 Bronco II that I have someone interested in buying. I have no use for it in my '86 BII as it has a good-running 2.9 V6. The engine I am wanting to sell has about 117,000 miles on it and when I bought the '85 it was running strong (I just wanted it for the tranny for my '86) with no problems. My question is: How much should I ask for the engine and the carbuerator altogether??? Like I said - the engine is still in the '85 but the guy that is interested is willing to pull it. I'm just wanting to ask a fair price but not screw myself over. I haven't seen any on EBay lately and I've only seen one on an online salvage website and it was going for like $750 but that was already out of the vehicle and had "less than 100,000 miles" as the ad had it listed (and no carb.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
oneway

Re: 1985 2.8 V6 question...

Post by oneway »

tell him to make you an offer. If he's between the ages of 18 - 27, he'll more than likely low ball you. Since he's willing to pull it - he seems pretty desperate....

$750 with less than 100,000 and no carb...you have just over 100k and with the carb; I'd ask for $800 - $875. It's also best to talk/negotiate money matters over the phone or face to face because he can simply not return your email and that would suck for you.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
scene red

Post by scene red »

Right on, oneway!

Thanks for the quick reply. That gives me a great idea of where to start! Very much appreciated!
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

$750 with less than 100,000 and no carb...you have just over 100k and with the carb; I'd ask for $800 - $875.

Are you kidding me! The yard charges 750 no carb with warranty. Does your motor and carb come with a warranty? prolly not start at 550 hoping to get 500 and make him pull it. 875 he might as well go to the junk yard and get a new/used carb for almost that and a warranty. People buy from private partys to NOT pay wholesale/retail prices.

If he's between the ages of 18 - 27

I take offense to this. Haggling is about thrown your crazy number out there so the other party can come with their number. Its called haggling not lowballing Geeze!.

either way 800-875 is way overpriced and I live In ca which means most likley it should be cheaper elsewhere. Maybe things in Va are higher then elsewhere in the country who knows.
oneway

Post by oneway »

if it's haggeling...then the OP tossing up the $800 figure shouldn't be that much of a concern, based on your post right? Your argument goes both ways. He's the seller...he's allowed to list his parts at what he wants and since this is a private party sale...if the OP wants to draw up some kind of warranty - he's more than entitled to and adjust his asking price accordingly. Either way, slightly higher mileage + the carb + good, proven, working order = a list price on the high side, warranty or not. The "warranty" is pretty much implied anyway if the OP can let the buyer hear the motor run. What the buyer does with it after that is not the seller's fault or concern and that should not play into the seller's asking price.

So what the buyer is coming to pull it himself...that's not the seller's fault and should not be a concern in the asking price. That only shows the seller how desperate the buyer is which is something that should never be done from a buyer's point of view. If he's willing to come pull it...must mean he is passed wanting it and actually needs the motor = if he needs it bad enough, he'll pay for it. Doesn't matter if you're selling engines or diapers.

your definition of haggeling vs lowballing only proved my point with the age range.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

LOL SOME PEOPLE IGNORANCE IS TRUE BLISS WHY BUY A MOTOR AT A RECYCLERS PRICE PRIVATE PARTY MAKES NO SENSE EXP WITH THAT ASKING PRICE SO YOUR SAYING MY BRONCO ii KBB PRIVATE PARTY VALUE IS 1250 JUST THROWIN A NUMBER OUT THER BECAUSE i SEE ONE AT A DEALERSHIP FOR 3000 PLUS FEES THEN i SHOULD SELL MINE FOR THAT PRICE NO. iF YOU SELL SOMETHING AT THE SAME PRICE OR ABOVE WHAT SHOP WOULD CHARGE I WOULD JUST GO TO THE SHOP. WHERE I CAN GET A WARRANTY. AND WHY THE HELL WOULD A PRIVATE SELLLER WRITE UP A WARRANTY MAKES NO SENSE DUDE. AGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. LOWBALLING IS HAGGLING. YOUR IGNORANCE IS TRUE BLISS FOR YOU PARTNER. HERE i THOUGHT CA WAS TOO EXPENSIVE WOW!
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

MY 85 YEAR OLD GRANPA HAGGLES THIS WAY AND HE HAS ALL KINDS OF OLD/NEW CARS RESTORED AND ALL. MILLIONARES HAGGLE THIS WAY SO I DONT GET YOUR POINT!
Colin

Post by Colin »

I also live in CA and I have recently purchased a 1984 Bronco ll 4x4 for $850 with a running motor and only 60,000 miles on it. And it is an Eddie Bauer to boot and one owner!! The upholstery is like new and everything worked just fine on it. [until the hatch latch gave up the ghost recently] I cannot imagine anyone selling the motor for more than $400, in fact I have seen motors going for less than that here in CA. If you are parting out that 85 I would like to buy the hatch door latch mechanism from you as well as a V6 emblem for the front fender and the rear roof light over the hatch door. Are they available and for sale? But keep the price reasonable or I will not be interested. Thanks a bunch.