$800 budget, need new engine or rebuild, help!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tonymasone

$800 budget, need new engine or rebuild, help!

Post by tonymasone »

I have $800 and an 87BII (4x4, 5spd) that's in really great shape but needs a new engine or a rebuild. On such a small budget does anyone have any ideas? I might be able to push it to $1000.

Thanks
Strokin76

Re: $800 budget, need new engine or rebuild, help!

Post by Strokin76 »

you can find a 4.0 or a 302 on craigslist, maybe someone that did a swap would sell the 2.9 that would be cheap
Strokin76

Post by Strokin76 »

would be much cheaper, like 200 bucks to just buy a motor and alot less messing around time wise
tonymasone

Post by tonymasone »

Strokin76 wrote:would be much cheaper, like 200 bucks to just buy a motor and alot less messing around time wise
I was thinking this, (especially the 4.0) but it seems like nobody retains the ECU wiring etc. It'd be nice to find a doner car but if not I'd end up spending a few hundred extra just getting the proper exhaust setup. Keeping my eyes open though.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

for 800 or less you could find another rig with a good 2.9 and just swap it, done
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

I did what ranger dave said to do and after I parted it out and sold the tranny tires and rims from the donor truck I paid a lil over 150 for my motor. But I did put all new seals and gaskets and freeze plugs on wich ran me about 200 when it was all said and done. so 350 and I did all the work myself. DONT just buy a motor off craigslist not to smart prolly a bad motor. If you buy a donor bronco or ranger you can test drive and pressure test and such. Or I would go to a recycler and pay 800 for a motor with a warranty. I know where I live they will rebuild motors for 600 with parts. atleast these 2.9 l
Strokin76

Post by Strokin76 »

ALOT of times the motors on craigslist are still in vehicles being parted out. so you can hear them run, or you could use a compression tester and one of those tools with the little screen and camera and check out the internals of a motor.

Best if you can hear it run though.
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

WHAT IF THE COOLINGS SYSTEM LEAKS AND NEEDS FREEZE PLUGS i WILL NEVER BUY A MOTOR PRIVATE PARTY WITH IT ALREADY REMOVED.
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

I'll sell you a '94 Explorer with everything except wheels in GOOD running condition for $800. Front axle is probably bad though.
tonymasone

Post by tonymasone »

Ruffinit wrote:I'll sell you a '94 Explorer with everything except wheels in GOOD running condition for $800. Front axle is probably bad though.
I'd be all for it, trouble is I'm in PA :-/