89 Bronco II tranny--to fulsh or not to flush

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
uptownbecky

89 Bronco II tranny--to fulsh or not to flush

Post by uptownbecky »

After many Bronco II free years I have decided it is time to fill the void left when my 1st Bronco died.

Long story short they are hard to find in my area but I have one I will be looking at on Thursday (3/18).

This is the description that I have of it
"I have an 89 Eddie Bauer edition with only 90,000 miles on it. It is an automatic, I bought it from an older couple that hauled it behind their camper when they traveled. I am the second owner of the vehicle. It has a new Napa long block put in it due to the truck just sitting the seals went bad, the motor has just under 10,000 miles on it. It had new tires put on it last year. The interior is in MINT condition, just perfect. Within the last 500 miles I put in a new alternator, starter, and battery. Now for the bad the tranny needs a flush and filter. As of right now you have to drive in town with the truck in drive, then on the highway you have to click it into overdrive. Like I said the tranny does need a flush and filter"

My main concern is that i have heard that Bronco II's (and other older cars) do not like to be flushed and that even a fluid and filter change can set them on a short road to dead.

Anybody out there have experience with this type of issue?
OR Should I just pass on this one and keep looking seeing as I cant afford a new tranny if it goes out right away?
Thanks in advance
Becky
Steenkamp2125

Re: 89 Bronco II tranny--to fulsh or not to flush

Post by Steenkamp2125 »

i just picked up an 88 bronco 2, mine slips when it is cold. once it warms up itdrives fine. just picked up a tranny filter and gasket set. imflushing it today. if i was you i would do the same. Just make sure you get the right tranny fluid. i am a mechanic and i really dont think it will hurt the truck..

Good luck
clem

Post by clem »

Flush and filter, people who say it was the flush and filter that caused the problem don't realize that it was on it's way out anyway! I say do it, but drive like you have an egg under your foot (not hard boiled) as these transmissions are not all that strong, just my opinion. -Jeff
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
joeyy

Post by joeyy »

I have an 87 and when i forst got it, i changed the fluid and filter, didnt take too long and wasnt expensiive. i didnt flush it though, i just let it drain by itself for like a day or so and most of the fluid came out. my manual says that it only takes 3 quarts of ATF but it was slipping really bad like it would rev it and jump into gear, like dropping the clutch or something (mines auto) so i bought a bottle of LUcuas stop slip, fixed her right up and i think i had to put about another half quart or more in (ATF)after that to stop the slipping completely, i say go for it
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i wouldnt flush it.
oneway

Post by oneway »

this is a good question as this was next on my mind, not because I'm experiencing anything, but simply because it's old and I have no idea if the fluid has been changed ever. The dipstick measurements look good and everything. So don't flush...but a drain and fill with a filter change is good?
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

right, change the filter and fluid.

a friend of mine had(see where i said had) a good running/shifting xplorer,someone sugested he should have the tranny flushed,so he did. shortly after, the tranny started losing gears. all that was left was low and reverse. he scraped it