emissions elimination

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Strokin76

emissions elimination

Post by Strokin76 »

using truck primarily in the woods, and we have no polution control here, how easily can the emisions be removed from a 88 bII with a 2.9?
especially the O2 sensors???
Strokin76

Re: emissions elimination

Post by Strokin76 »

nobodys done this?
oneway

Post by oneway »

not familiar with the 88, but if you do it...I think the only thing you'll notice is sucky gas mileage...check engine light may come on...prolly more specific towards removing the O2 sensors. Does your truck have the PCV valve or EGR valve? I'm pretty sure both of those are important parts of the emission control.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
tonymasone

Post by tonymasone »

I didn't do anything major but I swapped the stock air box for a k&n, and I punched out the cats and put a cherry bomb in for a muffler (wouldn't recommend the c-bomb it's burnt out now and annoyingly loud). I kept the O2 sensor in place. I noticed a slightly better throttle response when I punched out the cats.

(edit) it hasn't thrown any engine lights and it's been about a year since I did that.
Strokin76

Post by Strokin76 »

I guess I just cant believe the tires i see you guys turning. My 2.9 seems to really struggle to 55 mph and takes for ever to get to the middle rpm range. seems to run ok, but right now I have a pretty crappy exhaust system and it leaks bad right at the manifold. I have intention on repairing when time allows....
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

If you can afford gas and to polute the air your children breath do it. Remember it is a federal offense to punch out cats and mess with emission controlled vehicles even if its green stikered. If it original equipment has emision controls its against law to alter them.
tonymasone

Post by tonymasone »

i agree, but they lose their functionality over time anyway, so it's pretty much the same either way, all they do is get all clogged/gummed up
oneway

Post by oneway »

maintenance.....someone's gotta do it :laugh:
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
Strokin76

Post by Strokin76 »

aarnwts, not trying to start a war here, but can tell your from California the brain wash state, If you think that vehicle emisions are so great, Usually they require the use of more fuel, Just look at the desiel world once, I used to run a 7.3 desiel ford, then to a 6.0, and now ford has the 6.4. Progressively less fuel economy. the 7.3 would get 22mpg and the new high tech 6.4 gets 8 -10mpg but at the tailpipe during idle the 6.4 burns cleaner. so you tell me whats better?
and if thats not enough for you, there is an average of like 5000 flights in the air at any given point, traveling in the atomosphere, and NONE have emissions and are generally planes from the 60's and 70's era. especially the referbished engines. How many gallons of fuel does one plane use?? but people have to have emission controls on the lawn mower????? makes sense right?
I do care about my son, alot, SO DON'T GO THERE.
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

Bravo strokin 76. Im a fellow UP-er Even though we arnt emission tested around here as are most States. I find my 87 b-11 runs best with most emission sensors serving a dual purpose in keeping them running at good power in all ranges of speed'tempratures cause the better running your motor will likely give off the least emissions.My 2.9 had the o2 sensor replaced cause it was running way rich. I can fly down the h-way 65-75 in cruise all day just humming along .its a dog to get er ip to speed though must be the nature of the Beast in them.Love Mine & buy it treats every so often new dash pad cover waiting for spring to install and a poor mans GPS I just gave her [mid range priced lighted compass for the dash]great for cruisin the miles of unmapped logging roads we have up here.Keep on truckin. F0rd man 45 yrs
Strokin76

Post by Strokin76 »

ya I will keep it on there, I just thought since I need to redo the exhaust(which sounds like could be part of the problem) I would eliminate some of that. the cats will go but o2 will stay. I think I am getting false readings to the o2 sensor causing some loss of power. overall, it runs ok and I barely run it down the hiway anyways.. I did get 12mpg with it last time, and that aint too bad with a welded rearend and somewhat larger tires..
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

Wow some peoples ignorance is true bliss! IF YOU TAKE A VEHICLE WITH EMISSIONS AND REMOVE THEM YOU WILL KILL YOUR GAS MILLIAGE SAME WITH GUTTING THE CATS. THEY PUT EMISSIONS ON CARS FOR A REASON. NOT FOR PEOPLE TO TAKE THEM OFF. I HOPE YOU GET IN TROUBLE ASWELL AS ANYONE ELSE THAT DOES THIS. AND BY THE WAY ALL THOSE PLANES IN THE AIR HAVE EMISSIONS AND HAVE THEIR OWNERS RIP IT OFF. MY POINT IGNORANCE! AND IF WE ARE BRAINWASHED IN CA HOW ARE WE LEADING THE WORLD IN ALTERNATIVE FUELS. US CALIFORNIANS HAVE A PROBLEM OF LIVING LIKE HOLLYWOOD STARS WHICH IS WHY WE ARE IN A MUCK. AND IF EVERYONE RIPPED OFF THEIR EMISSIONS THEN IN THE NEXT GENERATION WHAT AIR THEY GONNA BREATH IF YOU LOVE YOUR SON SO MUCH YOU SHOULD THINK AND BE PART OF THE ANSWER NOT THJE PROBLEM!!!!
Strokin76

Post by Strokin76 »

aarnwts,
Ignorance, something you seem to know well, is making statements you know nothing about. removing a cat from a vehicle, no matter what vehicle will improve gas mileage. I've proven this time and again. Motors are just big air pumps, increase the air in, (and fuel) and decrease the restriction on the way out, it will be more efficent.
As for planes, your dead wrong. I have a close friend who is a current delta mechanic. You worry about little things, like the weed eater and ignore the larger. Nascar, top fuel, and any other racing or offroad vehicles are way worse.
As for Californians, well, the state is as you stated, all mucked up.
If you are truely worried about the environment, you should be crazy mad about the selling and trading of carbon credits, and the selling of which got Gore(former vice president if you are to dumb to know) a nobel peace prize. But you worry about something as tiny as a cat on a truck. explain to me how it works when most of them dont return back to the engine for reburn? it just gathers up to make you be able to get your little green sticker, and then ends up in a landfill once it needs to be "recycled". Moron
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

Ok Mr Professor I doubt you know how a motors set up cats dont send back to the motor for re-burn and you will kill gas milliage by cutting the cat 100%. And in ca good luck gettin a green sticker they dont allow 2 stroke motors in state park unless its older they gotta be on a track. I hate it when people miss inform on here. the re-burn comes off the exhuast manifold. Not the cat lol. I hope you get FINED and your motor blows up!
aarnwts

Post by aarnwts »

and
Last edited by aarnwts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.