87 b2 wiring problems????????????

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mikes87b2

87 b2 wiring problems????????????

Post by mikes87b2 »

i got my 87 eddi bower b2 2.9 auto 2 years ago and having a dad that owns a repair shop you would think it would be fixed by now but its not. when i bought the truck fuel pumps didnt work so i bought new ones. still didnt fix the problem so i bought a new fuel pump relay and inertia switch...still nothing....i jumped the fuel pumps and they work but not when relay is hooked up and the other problem is that my fuel injectors arnt opening. i pulled them and there good but just wont open, so i thought it was the computer just bought one and installed it with no luck i tested the wires going to the injectors and there both hot at all times i dont no what it could be anymore. im telling you this truck is pissing me off lol but i love b2's. i live in california so right now a 302 swop isnt in my future.. any help is much appreciated.
RClem

Re: 87 b2 wiring problems????????????

Post by RClem »

You need to start with a diagnostic, read the codes with both computers if you still have the original.
Do the indicator lights and/or the gauges on the dash move when you turn the key to the run position?
Do you hear the pump whine when you turn the key on?\
Check the fusable links around the starter solinoid, make sure you have power to the computer,
run a continuity test on the wiring crossing the engine.
Come back and let us know what you find.

Ray
rockhound

Post by rockhound »

i had the same problem with my 86 ranger it turned to be a ground wire not hooked up, ties down on the side of the intake above the above injectors
good luck
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Another simple check is the rollover switch. It cuts off fuel if you roll or crash hard enough or hit a bump hard enough.
The switch is located in side on the passengers side toe board area. Kind of up on the firewall. Boxy looking thing with a reset switch. Check if you have continuity through the switch. if not try resetting it. If you still can't get continuity through it then it is time to replace it.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
mikes87b2

Post by mikes87b2 »

ok you guys rock, i did change the switch above the pass. floor board and im getting power to the pumps but not a ground. the tach on the dash moves when i turn the key on and sometimes the check motor light stays on even with the key out. i ran a continuity test across the wiring harness and all is good. i made sure that the ground on the intake was hooked up good and still nothing i still need to run it for codes but the fuesable links are good and power is going to the computer. i also changed the thick film moduel on the distributer but still nothing.... all info is greatly appreciated
drofman

Post by drofman »

ok, you have spark but no fuel. correct? did you check the little ground wire on neg. side of battery?
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

Check the relay[s] because i found that one relay sends power to a second relay that powers the computer while also powering one or both pumps . The order in which thay interact seems to vary from 86 to 90 .Clean all terminal blocks & TWO NEW RELAYS should fix it try it youll like it Thanks 45 F.M.