Rocker arm noise.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
cajun66

Rocker arm noise.

Post by cajun66 »

I have a light tapping noise coming from the rear of my driver side valve cover. I was told that my 2.8 is a solid lifter motor. So are the rocker arms adjustable? If so, what do I gap them to?
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
drofman

Re: Rocker arm noise.

Post by drofman »

yes, the book says 14 and 16 but i did them at 13, 15. adjust exhaust valve when the the intake valve fully open (down) adjust the intake valve when the exhaust just closes (up). the adjust nut is a friction lock so make sure it's not worn. I use to hate to adjust the valves on Aerostars under warranty back in the day. the bigger feeler gauge is the exhaust and the book says hot but by the time you are done it's not. a starter button on the starter relay works good to trun the motor over. This is the way i used to do it but someone might have a better way. I've tried the "you can do all valves in 2 revolution of the crank" but I did it this way for no come backs
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

Thanks
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
drofman

Post by drofman »

use a 6 point socket on the valve adj jam nut not a 12 point, they round off easy, check EGR gaskets, some times they fake you out
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

10-4. Gonna check everything tomorrow.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5