tail light wiring

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tickturd

tail light wiring

Post by tickturd »

the only lights that work is the back up lights . and the only time they come on is when the turn signals or step on the brake. also there is a constant drain on the electrical system, the alternator is new and tests good has any one had similar problems
drofman

Re: tail light wiring

Post by drofman »

does the front turn signal and dash signals work also does it have the lamp out warning. what I don't understand is the back up lights. it sound like a mutifunction swt but the back up lights don't go thur it. The back up light does get power from the turn signal flasher. did this start all of a sudden or is it always been there. need more info.
tickturd

Post by tickturd »

all other lights work the way their supposed to, god i hate electrical gremlins, they turn a perfectly good vehicle into a throwaway
drofman

Post by drofman »

ok "all other lights work" if that means the front and dash lights work corectly start at the begining.pull your steering column covers off and remove your mutifuction swt from column (easier to put a test light in the holes). With all connectors and key on, see if you have power to the left rear curcuit (light green with orange tracer) when you apply the left turn signal. Orange with light blue wire for the right rear.
tickturd

Post by tickturd »

i solved the problem, but thank you for the help. the previous owner had done some creative wiring.
tickturd

Post by tickturd »

now that that is fixed, do you have any experience with a constant drain on the battery. if i leave it set for more than two days the battery is dead, does any one have a similar problem, if so please help before i have a stroke
drofman

Post by drofman »

remove the Pos cable off the battery, hook up a test light between the battery post and the cable. if you have a draw it should light up. remove your dome light fuse 1st (when your door is open the dome light curcuit is hot) Start pulling fuses till the light goes out or if you use a good light (snap-on, matco etc..) it will be dim. that ok as long as it's not bright. when you find the curcuit that has a draw go, from there. if you still have a draw with all fuses out. you have to go to the fuse links (both off the starter relay and on the left fender). you said you replaced the ALT. but you can unplug it to see if the draw is there. I have seen alarm systems draw also. good luck and relax Omms law can be fixed just have to start at 1 end and end up at the problem, no short cuts.