Spare tire bushing

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
drofman

Spare tire bushing

Post by drofman »

Does anyone know were I can get that hard plastic bushing that goes from the spare tire carrier pipe to the hatch mount? I've cut a Rad hose and tie-strapped it on but it don't last long. If someone has a better idea other than building a better spare tire carrier please let me know. I have alot of rattles but that one bugs me. Thanks. Also, How do you attach Pictures to a post?
Ranger Dave

Re: Spare tire bushing

Post by Ranger Dave »

JY
Colin

Post by Colin »

I just bought a Bronco II that had no spare on the rack, and when I bought some wheels recently and tried to attach one to this rack I realized there was something missing. But I found a long threaded hook [half inch diameter or maybe a little bigger] in my garage which hooked around the vertical bar enclosing the wheel brace at the same time, and protruded out far enough to pass through one stud hole on the spare. I simply tightend up the nut on this threaded end of the hook until the tire was depressed by both sides of the rack, and hey presto, I have a spare mounted perfectly. It will never come undone cause the tire acts as a spring washer. I put a ring spanner [wrench I think you may call it in this country] in the rear side pocket where I have a hydraulic jack wrapped in an old towel to stop that rattling, and I am all set. I am going to buy a wheel cover from Pep Boys for $20 to cover the spare to tidy it all up. One day I hope to find a Bronco emblem to glue or stitch to this cover.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Dave, Is that YJ? And if so I didn't know they came w/spare tire rack. Again I'm looking for the rattle bushing from rack to hatch mount
drofman

Post by drofman »

oh, i thought a yj was a cherokee not wrangler
clem

Post by clem »

junk yard
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110