84 Bronco Ignition problem

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
broncoman05

84 Bronco Ignition problem

Post by broncoman05 »

Hey guys, I am new to the Bronco world, just got one Friday. I got it running but we cannot get it to crank with the key, we have to cross the solenoid. We put new starter, solenoid, and key switch on it and still same thing. We also checked the fusses and as far as we know they are all there, someone tried to rig it up, but no wires seem to be cut out. Does anyone have any suggestions about what we could check? Would the ignition switch cause that problem? TIA for anyone that could help.
drofman

Re: 84 Bronco Ignition problem

Post by drofman »

check clutch interlock swt/neutral safety swt. or if someone put an alarm system on it. The start wire off the ign. swt should be R/LB see if you got power in the crank poss.
broncofan

Post by broncofan »

does your accessories work with the switch on, radio, fan, wipers ? forward and backwards? if they do its not the switch.
check the grounds. do you get anything when you turn the key on? clicking, even if it starts by jumping the selonoid it still could be bad.check the easy stuff first.
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII
KevinB2

Post by KevinB2 »

I have this same problem on my 87 BII. I have no power to anything with the key on or off. but the motor turns over when i cross the starter solenoid. I did replace the solenoid to see if that was the problem. I havent had a chance to work on it lately so havent tried to much to fix it. Any suggestions on where to start?
smcpeake

Post by smcpeake »

to kevinb2 that sounds like the ignition switch buddy..
1986 bronco 2 EB

The best solution to a problem is to get rid of it......