Bronco II-no power

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
KevinB2

Bronco II-no power

Post by KevinB2 »

My 1987 Bronco II has no power when I turn the key. Just replaced the battery. When I cross the starter relay over the motor turns over but does not crank. I also have power all the way to the starter. I have no lights or anything. Any clue as to what could be the problem??
bronco2newbie

Re: Bronco II-no power

Post by bronco2newbie »

I had a simillar problem and the culprit was a loose ground. Just my 2 cents. Hope its that simple.
A.J. :usa:
drofman

Post by drofman »

check the smaller wire off the Neg side of battery, not the cable but the smaller wire.
KevinB2

Post by KevinB2 »

I was looking at my battery and noticed that the ground was hooked up to the positive side. When i hooked it up to the negative side it burnt the wire up. Anybody know why that would happen?? it should be grounded on the positive side right??
drofman

Post by drofman »

there should be atleast 2 wires off the neg side of battery. one to body ground and the other one i was talking about. as you can see from my picture i had to fix the one i'm talking about.
Attachments
P3140098.JPG
oneway

Post by oneway »

drofman wrote:there should be atleast 2 wires off the neg side of battery. one to body ground and the other one i was talking about. as you can see from my picture i had to fix the one i'm talking about.
not to thread jack, but that smaller wire on mine has already been cut and reconnected by someone prior to my purchase, however the wire itself is broken (read: rubber split with wire hangin out, but still working) - should I just cut the wire and cut out the bad part and reconnect or can these wires been purchased and installed as a whole? I have no idea where the wires leads to or what else is connected to it though. Thanks for the pic drofman.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
drofman

Post by drofman »

you can just cut the bad part out, save you money