My 2.9 Problem starting

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
justinaron

My 2.9 Problem starting

Post by justinaron »

I have a 87 2.9. Its not the best looking motor but she ran. I took off from a red light and it didn't have alot of power like i only could go 5 mph... the light turned red before i could get all the way across the intersection. I got it home and turned it off. now it won't start back up. I checked to see if the fuel rail had fuel in it and it squirted out so i am taking it my fuel pumps are good. I recently did the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, module. What else could it be? I need help. Anyone having a problem or had a problem like this? it ran alright til then. :confused:
Ranger Dave

Re: My 2.9 Problem starting

Post by Ranger Dave »

fuel filter??? the one in the black canister in the frame rail. did the fuel just dribble out or shoot out like it has presure behind it?
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

It shot out... found out it was my coil now it won't start and my tac doesn't move when i crank it like it use to... what is my problem now? got a super fire coil on it. got spark and fuel but it won't start!
clem

Post by clem »

If the tach is not moving my bet is the ignition module. Its located on the distributor and is a bitch to get at, get yourself a 5.5mm socket or 7/32 , I think is the close one. Good luck. -Jeff
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

Update!!!! Replaced the coil, and the TFI Control Module. Got it running but you have to have the pedal all the way to the floor. It will not idle. when i let off the pedal it sputters til it dies and then it doesn't wanna start back up again. When I had the pedal to the floor it only went to 3000 RPM. Could this be a fuel pump? Got one problem down and yet another... Knew it was a project but dang I am getting head aches like crazy. If this is a fuel pump which one should i start with? The msd coil i had put on it today exploded on me kinda scary went to autozone and had to get a accel.... they any good? :puke:
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

what should i do it still ain't running? I have tried everything. it is getting spark. if i keep cranking it with the pedal to the floor it will start and run at 3000 rpm with the pedal to the floor. when i let off the pedal it dies... any help would be great. I am gunna get new fuel pumps on thursday. I hope that is what my problem is... haven't really ever worked on fords... been mostly chevy motors. :eek:
drofman

Post by drofman »

check firing order on cap if you change the cap
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Sometimes when you put an aftermarket coil on a engine that already has a computer the coil does not match the electronic impedance of the TFI. When that happens it usually blows the TFI but sometimes it Blows the coil and sometimes both...

Something else to think about is that in a computer controlled car you have to watch out for voltage spikes caused by bad grounds and aftermarket equipment. I learned this the hard way. After buying a huge Accell coil for my import computer controlled truck I decided I had better also get the best wires I could get, you know to get that Big Ol fat spark.
At that time computers were new stuff and I was still Old world. Being old world to me meant solid copper wires. After putting new solid core wires on and then when I tried to start the engine it backfired pop'd and just barely ran.
To shorten the story after the proper carbon cored suppression wires and plugs were installed The rig started up and ran almost 10 minutes then just quits. Bad TFI again. Replaced that and got 10 minutes more Bad TFI again. Decided to put stock coil back with one more new TFI Started and ran fine from then on.and stock coil back in all was well again.

Moral is don't mix match parts in a computer controlled engine and expect everything work right out of the box.
That is my story and I am stick-en to it, however your mileage may differ.

On a stock 2.9 there is no real good reason to put a monster coil on them! The OEM stuff works great when it is used with OEM stuff. With a stock engine You will gain zip point crap to the minus 3rd for your efforts. Take a look at the money a fat coil and trick wires cost and go buy something like a nice dinner for your girl...or maybe someone elses girl. he he
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

Lol... thanks man... sounds like my problem it did backfire pretty loud then just wouldn't run. ok since all that stuff is under warranty or i can still return it... i checked to see if there was pressure when i turn my fuel pumps on and fuel came out not guizuring (not sure how its spelled lol) but it did come out at a constant flow. so i am starting to think it is not my fuel pumps. do you think i should pull the tfi (again) and let orieleys test it (again) and if it is bad warranty it out (again). take the accel coil back and get the stock replacement. do you think that will fix my problem.... that would be f***in bad @ss... anyone else got any other suggestions... man do i hope that will fix it... :eek: i think i will take the money from the big fat coil and take the cute neighbor girl that comes over while i am always working on rigs out to dinner lol thanks man
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

First thing I would do is put the stock coil back in and see how things are. If it is still No joy then have O rileys test the crap out of the TFI. If it tests good put it back in.

There is one more distributor part that can fail but it usually just quits period and that is the hall effect sensor in the distributor itself.

I would go back to stock and see where you are and see what is happening and go from there.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

thank you so much my orginal coil died a while back. i will get the stock replacement... then go from there. is the hall effect sensor hard to fix?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

No not really hard. Remember change only one item at a time till you isolate your problem. If it starts and runs good with the stock coil your ahead. If not leave the coil then TFI then as a last resort the hall effect sensor.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
justinaron

Post by justinaron »

If i am getting spark, and i have to have the gas pedal to get it to start. could it be the high pressure fuel pump? still only runs at 3000 rpm. sounds like its not getting fuel. how much pressure should i have in the lines.. i pulled the external one and it still squirted out pretty good. does that hall effect sensor control the fuel injectors? I left the fuel switch on the one night before i had this problem. thats what makes me think this could be my problem. checked the coil and everything out today tfi is good. coil is back to normal still no start
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

OK, now that you have good reliable spark you proceed to next step which naturally you would expect to be Fuel and air.
However before you go any farther and before you start ripping parts out let me ask "Have You checked for what codes may be stored in the computer?. Also after codes are cleared run the rig for a couple of minutes and see what codes it picks up then.
Look up the failure codes and see if what the computer says is bad is really bad or Not!

OK, after you analyze the fail codes and decide they have no direct bearing or not you are ready to start looking at fuel pressure.

I did a quick copy right out of the service manual concerning checking fuel pressure.
Be sure to use a real fuel pressure gauge (available at your local auto parts for around 20 dollars US).
Here it is.

Engine on pressure test.
Disconnect and plug the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator
Key on engine running at idle.
Is the fuel pressure between 35 to 45 PSI.

Hi speed test
With the engine running at idle and vacuum line to Fuel Pressure Regulator disconnected and plugged. Note the fuel rail pressure.

Rapidly accelerate the engine and note the fuel rail pressure.

Does the pressure remain within +- 5 PSI of the measured starting pressure.

Now on a last note, I strongly, very strongly recommend you use the forum search function and look up this info. I know I have explained this at least once or twice before here in this forum!

So do your research make the tests if you still are stumped bring ALL f your data back present your findings and we will go from there!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey one last thing.. You never told us if the fuel filter was replaced?
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington