Early ranger Diff

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
OCD4B2

Early ranger Diff

Post by OCD4B2 »

Ok i was hitting the farm roads the other day to go back to this mazda, yeap it was a dead car. I took out the front seats and mounted them in the back for my flipp downs. One of them had a broken frame so I took it back. And over by a shack was a completly dead early ranger. No wheels, no front diff (as i thought), no interior, no doors, no glass....well we'll just say it was pretty freakin dead. I found the rear diff in the back and said, "what the hell, i can use this." I was wondering if n e of u guys know if this differential is a 9" or a Dana 60? I would show ya the pic but its too big and it wont except my picture editor. :D
230,000 miles and she still turns heads
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

First I would say, never take parts off an abondoned rig. But that's your judgement call. What's your input Phillippi?

Second, are you talking about a fullsize truck?
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

hey hey hey, the thing spins freely when u turn the yoke, i thought it was a great diff. And yes, its off an early ranger, when they were full size. I'm not gonna put it on now though because i know its larger, im gonna need to get a front one too.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

If it has a diff cover and is 8 lug, it's a 60. Otherwise if there is no diff cover and it's 5 lug, it's probably a 9"
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

well its cover is welded to the housing, so i know its not a 60. But im afraid its not a nine.....i hope it is. can u help me matt, send me a link bro so i can find out about what was on what.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sounds like a 9" to me.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Nobody wrote:First I would say, never take parts off an abondoned rig. But that's your judgement call. What's your input Phillippi?

Second, are you talking about a fullsize truck?
I didnt see this post, but if it spins freely and doesnt have slop it cant be any worse the the D60 of yours! :D
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

ok matt its a 10 bolt pattern for the third member to the housing and a 5 bolt mount for the third member connector plate to the third member. pretty shure its gonna be a 9" crossing my fingers....by the way it looks like it say's wcc.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Phillippi wrote: I didnt see this post, but if it spins freely and doesnt have slop it cant be any worse the the D60 of yours! :D
What about legal issues?

Ford 9 inch
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

make that an mcc.
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

what do u mean legal issues? I see people with skinny tires sticking way out the sides of cars? If thats illegal than how come i havent seen one pulled over yet?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'm talking about taking parts off an abondoned vehicle....

As for your tires sticking out....anything over 1.5" isn't legal in my state.
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

Its been sitting there for 5 years, i have known of it way b 4 i started to drive, and yes the front and back diffs, the body frame and some engine was all that was left.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Oh you mean not being bought. THat would be stealing. I am slow after working so much the last 3 weeks.

If its abandoned there are ways to legally get the vehicle. Thats how wrecking yards make some money on crappy cars that I call them to tow.
jeepsubmarine

Post by jeepsubmarine »

hey ocd try this, Have the PD or MVD run the vin through NCIC to ensure it's not stolen, have a certified VIN inspector verify the VIN and get a surety bond ($100). They will then issue you a bonded title. Just make sure that the property owner isn't holding it in lieu of past rent or something. granted it would be a pain in the ass, but it would also be legit.
or just leave a little I.O.U. on a bar napkin. your call, if it was me and i knew that it had been sitting there for five years id just take it, but then again i get dumb sometimes so oh well :usa: